What's new

New Openwrt for R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greatest thing for me about OpenWRT is SQM QoS “Piece of Cake”. Created by the same guys who worked on FQ_Codel, it’s amazingly effective at keeping bufferbloat low even on some of the worst connections.

Really happy to hear Kong is making OWRT builds.

Last edited:
Been using it for just over 3 days now. Fantastic performance over wireless, much better than what I would get on DD-WRT.

NG's stock firmware gave me latency issues over 5 GHz, but Kong Pro works flawlessly.

Is this newer openwrt build also available for R7000?

"In order to flash kong openwrt from oem firmware, use oem
update page and upload <model>-factory.img"

Is Voxels or XWRT Vortex a OEM firmware in this case?

Last edited:
Is this newer openwrt build also available for R7000?

"In order to flash kong openwrt from oem firmware, use oem
update page and upload <model>-factory.img"

Is Voxels or XWRT Vortex a OEM firmware in this case?

Not available for R7000.

Kong is only supporting a few Qualcomm IPQ806X devices. The Netgear R7500v2 and R7800, and the Linksys EA8500.

Not available for R7000.

Kong is only supporting a few Qualcomm IPQ806X devices. The Netgear R7500v2 and R7800, and the Linksys EA8500.

How ubout the update the procedure for R7800 is it right the one i write?

Or do i have to first upload the <model>-factory.img, and then use the <model>-sysupgrade.bin (am on a Voxels firmware)?

Is this the same FW that Kongs Openwrt/18.06?

How ubout the update the procedure for R7800 is it right the one i write?

Or do i have to first upload the <model>-factory.img, and then use the <model>-sysupgrade.bin (am on a Voxels firmware)?

Is this the same FW that Kongs Openwrt/18.06?

Instead of flashing it through the WebUI, I'd recommend using TFTP.

I used that on both my R7800s, and it worked perfectly.

Use this process to install the Kong OpenWRT build:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

You don't need to use sysupgrade after flashing since you'll already be on the newest build.

However, once Kong releases a newer OpenWRT build, then you can use sysupgrade.

Hope I've made it clear.

Instead of flashing it through the WebUI, I'd recommend using TFTP.

I used that on both my R7800s, and it worked perfectly.

Use this process to install the Kong OpenWRT build:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

You don't need to use sysupgrade after flashing since you'll already be on the newest build.

However, once Kong releases a newer OpenWRT build, then you can use sysupgrade.

Hope I've made it clear.

Its so DAM slow, it take ages to reload after i make some changes in the settings, should it be like this?

And yes i i did a reset after flash fw.

To set the Router as a AP witch mode do i have to set AP or AP (WDS)?

The countdown in "starting config apply from 30 and down" some times just run the whole time and the numbers are not showing?

Last edited:
Its so DAM slow, it take ages to reload after i make some changes in the settings, should it be like this?

The countdown in "starting config apply from 30 and down" some times just run the whole time and the numbers are not showing?
Go to services > uHTTPD and untick Redirect all HTTP to HTTPS.

The Router UI is really slow with HTTPS.

Go to services > uHTTPD and untick Redirect all HTTP to HTTPS.

The Router UI is really slow with HTTPS.

I use my R7800 as a AP but i cant see the router in my network only when i set Static IP Address to my laptop and use the default IP to the R7800 to connect to it?
I dont think it gets Default Gateway Address from the Router, so it can connect to the internet.

I use my R7800 as a AP but i cant see the router in my network only when i set Static IP Address to my laptop and use the default IP to the R7800 to connect to it?
I dont think it gets Default Gateway Address from the Router, so it can connect to the internet.

Use this: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

Reset your router. Follow this guide, and then reboot after you've saved all settings. Works perfectly.

Which browser? I think Chrome acts up when a self signed cert is used with https.
If your unit has direct internet access you can use the ACME service in order to pull a cert from letsencrypt.
Or as murtaza said try without https.

Is there a "goback file" so i can go back to Netgear original software or how do i go back?
Just use the same TFTP tutorial I linked earlier to flash back to stock or Voxels FW.

Which browser? I think Chrome acts up when a self signed cert is used with https.
If your unit has direct internet access you can use the ACME service in order to pull a cert from letsencrypt.
Or as murtaza said try without https.

This is too much for someone who had a stroke it becomes too complicated for me.

Is there a way to go back to STOCK FW, you can just flash STOCK.img directly in the graphical interface or is there any reset IMG you have to use and where can you download it then?

Last edited:
Just use the same TFTP tutorial I linked earlier to flash back to stock or Voxels FW.

So i cant just use the OpenWRT graphical interface in the firmware to do it with?

Last edited:
So i cant just use the OpenWRT graphical interface in the firmware to do it with?
No. OpenWRT firmware update feature only allows you to update to other OpenWRT builds.

Flashing to stock from WebUI isn't possible.

No. OpenWRT firmware update feature only allows you to update to other OpenWRT builds.

Flashing to stock from WebUI isn't possible.

Yes, of course, I just forgot about it in the rush.
Kids are screaming in the background because they want WIFI NOW!! ;)

I will give it a try a nother day when the kids are in school and then config the R7000 for them while am try to config the R7800 again with the OpenWRT build.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, I just forgot about it in the rush.
Kids are screaming in the background because they want WIFI NOW!! ;)
Hahaha I can relate. Whenever I work on the routers, either because of a firmware update or for a configuration change, I always get yelled at when the WiFi cuts out.

oh man this opened a can of worms lol
just out of curiosity @pege what browser are you using. chrome causes that problem. FF and edge dont seem to exhibit the slow loading of the interface

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!