What's new

New QNAP TVS-882 Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Govnah

New Around Here
New owner of a TVS-882 NAS, coming from a ReadyNAS516 to QNAP. I have read quite a bit to determine the best strategy and here is my config:

2 SSDs (500GB RAID0).
2 M.2 (500GB RAID0).
6 3TB (~12TB RAID5).

1. Should I configure the 2 SSDs as DataVol1 (RAID0), so that all apps and system install to that volume?
2. 2 M.2 SSDs as (“Cache Acclerator”) RAID0
3. DataVol2 (RAID5) the 6 3TB (12TB and will contain all my data/media)?
4. If I lose the DataVol1/system will the NAS become inoperable?

Would that be the correct approach/strategy above as I will be running SQL, Roon, Plex?

Thanks

I would probably RAID1 the boot volume, for some failover protection (RAID1 is not a backup, but with RAID1, the array is typically Active/Standby).

Keep in mind that the base firmware runs of a dedicated disk-on-module, and rest pretty much runs in RAM - more RAM is always better, and QTS will use as much as you give it.

M2's in RAID0 as SSH Cache seems like a good idea - but I would check performance with RAID0 vs. standalone drives, latency might be a bit higher with RAID0..

The spinners - I'm more friendly towards RAID10 - but this depends on your application performance use cases - I'm not a big fan of RAID5/6 for a multitude of reasons - but that's just my opinion...

And not to be preachy, but ensure that you include the NAS as part of your overall backup strategy, esp. with RAID - it's mature tech, but one never knows ;)

And not to be preachy, but ensure that you include the NAS as part of your overall backup strategy, esp. with RAID - it's mature tech, but one never knows ;)

Thanks for the feedback and I will be replicating my data/media to the RN516.