What's new

New R7800 router, now cannot access AVR with App

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tzr916

Occasional Visitor
I have been using the "Denon 2016 AVR Remote" App on my Android phone(s) for several years to access/control my AVR-X2200 (Wired, static IP). Suddenly this App has stopped detecting my AVR. Honestly, this app has always been flaky, it would often have to re-discover the AVR, or sometimes I would have to access the AVR via web browser then the app would find it. But since I replaced my TP Link router with an R7800, it is just gone completely.

I've tried this Denon app on 3 different phones, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted phones, unplugged the AVR power cord for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, I can access/control the AVR just fine on these phones or any PC, just by using its static IP in a web browser. I haven't done anything special in the R7800 except setting static IP's for a few devices and turning on IPV6. Everything else on the network has been fine.

Perhaps I could open some ports or? Any other ideas?

Can you access the Denon receiver with a browser on your phone? If you can, ditch the app.

tzr916 said:
...I can access/control the AVR just fine on these phones or any PC, just by using its static IP in a web browser...

The web browser access does not display, nor give access to, certain AVR functions that are right on the first page of the Android app.

I have been using the "Denon 2016 AVR Remote" App on my Android phone(s) for several years to access/control my AVR-X2200 (Wired, static IP). Suddenly this App has stopped detecting my AVR. Honestly, this app has always been flaky, it would often have to re-discover the AVR, or sometimes I would have to access the AVR via web browser then the app would find it. But since I replaced my TP Link router with an R7800, it is just gone completely.

I've tried this Denon app on 3 different phones, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted phones, unplugged the AVR power cord for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, I can access/control the AVR just fine on these phones or any PC, just by using its static IP in a web browser. I haven't done anything special in the R7800 except setting static IP's for a few devices and turning on IPV6. Everything else on the network has been fine.

Perhaps I could open some ports or? Any other ideas?

Is the AVR wired to the router? Try another cable?

OE

Nope, the AVR's IP address has been 192.168.1.36 for years, and still is, because I set my previous router, and this new router to give the AVR that static IP. I type it into a browser and the AVR setup page comes right up.
I have been using the "Denon 2016 AVR Remote" App on my Android phone(s) for several years to access/control my AVR-X2200 (Wired, static IP)....
...I can access/control the AVR just fine on these phones or any PC, just by using its static IP in a web browser....

I may have solved this... On a whim, I tried controlling my Sony Android tv with my phone using the generic "Android Tv" app, which was working for a while. Found out it would NOT connect either! Then I went to my Media Server PC (JRiver Media Center) which operates on DLNA, and saw that my AVR, my Android Tv, and one of my network Tv Tuners were missing from the DLNA devices list! These have been setup and working for years.

After searching, I found many posts about Netgear and DLNA, most were about "ReadyShare" feature on routers, but some I found some regarding home network DLNA devices not being accessible. One post in particular was regarding a Netgear ProSafe Switch, missing DLNA devices, and the IGMP Snooping setting in the switch. Hmm interesting, all my equipment is running through a ProSafe switch. So this morning I turned IGMP Snooping OFF in my switch, rebooted the switch, and rebooted all devices. Amazingly, all my DLNA devices showed up on my Media Server PC, I was now able to use the "Android Tv" app to control my Sony Tv, and finally the Denon App now recognizes my AVR and I am back in business!

What I don't know is how I've been able to function with IGMP Snooping turned ON for years, until I changed from a TP Link router to this Netgear router???

The lease time/ARP table life is short in the R7800 unless you use the kamoj add-on.
May be a clue to what happens; with IGMP off the packages are sent even to "idle/sleeping" devices?

Anyhow, thank you for sharing your highly interesting story here! :cool:

What I don't know is how I've been able to function with IGMP Snooping turned ON for years, until I changed from a TP Link router to this Netgear router???

Perhaps a switch can only use IGMP snooping if it is connected to a router that does IGMP proxy.
So perhaps the TP link router had IGMP proxy disabled and the Netgear has it enabled?
How did you configure "Advanced -> Setup -> WAN setup -> Disable IGMP proxy" ??

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!