What's new

New Router/Gigabit Switch Combo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Terry

New Around Here
I need a router to link a desktop PC, HDTV, and an HD-DVR to a cable broadband modem. Wireless adapters make no sense from a video download point of view, and I have planned from the start to wire the PC. So, I plan to use wired gigabit switch, but wireless routers are the current norm. I presently have no wireless devices, but I would like a notebook or laptop in the future.

I have a limited budget. An Asus RT-N56U or a Cisco E 4200 router would be great a choice, if I could afford it. My question is this. Does it make sense to purchase a quality switch (Netgear GS105 $30) with a lifetime warranty and a cheap router? The other option is a cheap router with a gigabit ports (Netgear 3500L or Cisco E2000).

IMO: A gigE switch will be independent of what the WiFi is and as it changes. In switches, I started with a D-Link- it failed in 3 month (filter caps). A Linksys did the same. Perhaps they use the same internals. Funny, I have two Fry's switches ($20 or some such) and they unlike the others, run cool and have lasted.

Thus, you can choose a WiFi router that isn't an overkill. Like $50 max for most people.

My rational was that I could use the gigabit switch in future upgrades of my network. Then I could upgrade the wireless router as my needs changed. A $130-170 wireless router is overkill for a network with no wireless devices. Can anyone suggest a dependable cheap router?

there is a WiFi router critique section here.

If all you need is 11g or 150Mbps (20MHz) 802.11n, I recommend a $40 or so Belkin or Buffalo, or one of the Linksys with external antenna. These can be 10/100BT switches built-in, with your gigabit switch independent.