What's new

New router to replace my NetGear R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

And what did you do when you got your Asus router ? Did you install the Merlin firmware right away ? Did you configure it a special way ?
Is it working better in a way than the R7800 ? Or you didn't notice any special change ?
I left it alone for about 2 weeks. After installing Merlin the router just seemed smoother and the signal seemed stronger a little. I am just a homeowner not a real tech guy. I have about 13 devices hooked up most of the time. Also I like the Asus App on my phone and tablets.

Thanx a lot for your response :)
Te RT-AX88U Pro is a bit too expensive, €80 more than the GT-AX6000.
Like I said, I'm looking for a stable router, with a good WiFi range. I have a 1GB/60MB internet connection. I will not use the double 2.5 port.

... RT-AX88U Pro is a bit too expensive, €80 more than the GT-AX6000
Near as I can tell, those two have almost exactly the same guts. I picked up one of the latter 'cause it was ~$40 cheaper that day.

The GT should require ever so little less shelf space, and apart from the antennas is quite a good looking product. If you're looking for a great dual-band all-in-one router then look no further than those, IMO.

It's not just what you have/use today. It is also what you may have or how much more you can sell it for, in the future too, when (not if) your situation changes.

With about a 16-month difference between when the GT-AX6000 and the RT-AX88U Pro were introduced, to me, that €80 difference is worth paying for (if you really need it 'today'), just for the expected longer support it should receive.

Again, these revolving sales are easy enough to wait out. Tomorrow, or next week, the RT-AX88U Pro may very well be the cheaper option.

Not worth gambling with that model.

Your best bang for the buck Asus router to buy today is the GT-AX6000 or the RT-AX88U Pro (with the latter being preferred today in the last quarter of 2023).

Edit: be sure you buy these models only when on sale (if you're able to wait) because that is the real price point for all items today. Paying full price when these rotating sales never end is just throwing your money out the window.
I've ordered the rt-ax88u pro from Amazon and I should receive it today. I plan to install right away the latest Merlin firmware.
I want to do it the right way. I have found this tutorial :

Is this the way to go ? With an out of the box router ? Or should I first try the Asus firmware, and then see how it goes ? Or should I install the latest Asus router and then install the Merlin firmware ?

I hope I have made the right choice. I really do like my R7800. Gives me all I need. But I'm worried it's starting to fail me, the 5GHz radio going down for no reason sometimes. Twice in a month actually.

Last edited:
Or should I first try the Asus firmware, and then see how it goes ?

This router has newer Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware. Asuswrt-Merlin is 3.0.0.4 base firmware.

See what Asuswrt features are available first. If you need something else - try Asuswrt-Merlin.

Thanx a lot for your post.
I guess I'll try first the Asuswrt firmware then, from your link.
Do I need to reset factory the router before I upgrade it ? Or since it's already running an Asus firmware, I don't need to ?

Roger that 👍
Now the router will be conneted to my internet box acting as a bridge.
I will have to configure the RT with a fix IP, in the same range I have with the R7800. I guess I'll find out where to do that in the menu.
I will set up the 2 SSID I need on my LAN, same name and same password, so that my WiFi devices connect to the router right away.
And then see what needs to be done to perfect the configuration :)

Congratulations!

Likely you could unbox the router, enter your user name and password, set SSID names / passphrases, and perhaps any required ISP-connection information, and be done with it, using the firmware that it comes with along with all its other default settings. In fact, I believe that's what I'd do if for no other reason than to make a fair assessment of my purchase. Any hoops you had to jump through before may not exist for you now. Certainly you can tweek things a bit as you go, but a comparative baseline should be established first.

Well it was a little harder than that :(
I got the router, and unboxed it.
I turned off my R7800.
I connected the Asus to a laptop that I had configured to use the range 192.168.1.0/24. Tried to connect to the Asus, 192.168.1.1 but I couldn't ping it. Tried 192.168.0.1 affer changing the network configuration of my laptop of course. Still no luck.
I remembered a YouTuber saying he had to install the application on his cellphone to configure the router. So I installed the app, and saw that the Asus had the IP 192.168.50.1... So I changed my network configuration on my laptop and tried to connect with an ethernet cable to the router. No luck.
So I configured the WiFi using my cellphone, a pain in the bottom :mad:
I don't know why, but only the 2.4GHz radio would show up. I configured the 5GHz with the same password, but... And then, suddenly, it worked. I could log on using the 5GHz radio.
I did a few tweaks to connect it to my internet box but that part was easy.
I then updated the firmware using the option of the router. I'm now using 3.0.0.6.102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c , latest firmware it says.

I'm testing now the router to see how it works, how it handles my devices. So far, seems ok. But I don't think the WiFi is better than my R7800. Actually, it might be a little worse. I have a 1000Mbps/60Mbps and my old Lenovo laptop and got only 150Mbps download. It's in the living room, 10m from the router. But my MacBook Air got 750Mbps/60Mbps 3 meters from the router. So it's not bad.

Do any of you have any advice on how to get the best out of this new router ? Something that I should turn off ? Turn on ? I turned on the AiProtection, not sure if it has an impact on the performance ?

Thanx for all your comments :)

But I don't think the WiFi is better than my R7800. Actually, it might be a little worse.

Not surprised. R7800 was one of the best range routers.

Something that I should turn off ? Turn on ?

Did I tell you there is no universal best settings? Read what different firmware options and settings do and enable/disable what you need only. Careful with channel selection in France. You have a limit of 200mW on lower 5GHz channels and the only higher power option is in DFS range.

And then, suddenly, it worked. I could log on using the 5GHz radio.

Europe? Isn't it something like 10 minutes to clear DFS there?

my old Lenovo laptop and got only 150Mbps download.

On 2.4 GHz no doubt. Likely connected before the 5 GHz was available.

I think I would start from a factory reset setting only what you must, and try it a while that way. Make any changes incrementally and jot down notes regarding the changes vs. results. Take your time.

Not surprised. R7800 was one of the best range routers.
Very true. A beast in all things.
I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. Send back the Asus and plug back the R7800, but it was having some WiFi problems, so... I've got it for I don't know how many years, but it's been a long time :)
Did I tell you there is no universal best settings? Read what different firmware options and settings do and enable/disable what you need only. Careful with channel selection in France. You have a limit of 200mW on lower 5GHz channels and the only higher power option is in DFS range.
Well I noticed that the 5GHz radio was using channel 128, so DFS. Maybe that's why I had some problem again to connect to that radio. I changed it to 44, the channel that my R7800 was using before.

Europe? Isn't it something like 10 minutes to clear DFS there?

As I said in the post just above,the 5GHz radio was configured on channel 128. So I changed it to channel 44, and since then, it's been working well. I think, it'll take me a few days to know for sure.
On 2.4 GHz no doubt. Likely connected before the 5 GHz was available.

I think I would start from a factory reset setting only what you must, and try it a while that way. Make any changes incrementally and jot down notes regarding the changes vs. results. Take your time.
My laptop is using the 5GHz radio. All my other devices have a much faster download though. I don't why my X250 Lenovo is slower than the others.

So I unboxed the RT, logged on, and started to configure it. Wasn't fully done, I upgraded the firmware using the router itself (I mean I didn't upload the firmware from my laptop). It then rebooted and I finished my configuration. I didn't reset it when the upgrade was done.

Stupid question for sure : do you have to reset the router each time you upgrade it ? Say I decide to use the Merlin firmware next time. Do I reset the router and then install the Merlin firmware ? And once it's done, reset again ?Even stupider question : I do a reset, I lose all my settings ? I'd have to configure again all my SSID ? And the rest ? Back to admin/admin ?

I do like the GUI, way nicer than my R7800 :)

Allows higher power.