What's new

New RT-AC66R - Almost Completely Happy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMHC

Occasional Visitor
I've long used SNB as a great resource. Finally signed up for the forums.

Because I needed a PCI wireless card for a desktop PC, I had bought a PCE-AC66 a while back. Ever since, the "need" to try 802.11ac just kept getting stronger and I finally caved in last week and bought an RT-AC66R at Best Buy.

So far, my only real complaint is that I am experiencing what I have read about in these forums over and over--that after several hours of use, the signal strength from the 5 GHz radio drops significantly (using inSSIDer to measure). I haven't really noticed a drop in link rate or throughput because of this, but it's disconcerting. I've used the method suggested by many in this forum and clicked "apply" in the "professional" tab under the wireless settings and strength pops right back up.

But this illustrates the value of this forum. If I hadn't read about this here, I would have thought the unit was defective and would have exchanged it, and the second one would have doubtless had the same problem.

So now I'll have to wait patiently for Asus to fix this. I have to believe that they're well aware of it and working on it, given the number of times it's been mentioned here.

I could complain about some bad English spelling and grammar in the UI, but it doesn't really affect anything except to make things look a little sloppy and unpolished.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with it. The range and throughput are very good. I'm using DDNS with dyndns.org with my own domain name and that's working perfectly with the VPN and FTP servers and AiCloud (AiCloud obviously is still a work in progress but appears to have good potential).

Right now I'm using Asus's 3.0.0.4.354 firmware. Figured I'd try it for a while to get used to things before trying RMerlin's customized build.

If your throughput and link rate are not changing, don't worry about the change in RSSI. With my new test method, I can plot RSSI vs. attenuation and I have found RSSI readings very variable.

The short term swings in the readings that IxChariot reports are so big, it's a wonder that the driver can get any useful information from it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!