What's new

New RT-AC86U starting from scratch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loady

So I bought the Asus RT-AC86U as recommended.

Some of you already read and have been assisting me in my other threads, I thought it a good idea to start a new one.

My goal, install latest merlin, connect to my ISP router (router 1) via power lines to the new RT-ac86u (router 2) upstairs.

Get openvpn up and running so I can connect to it remotely and browse my Lan, turn my server on and off.

Router 1 subnet is 192.168.1.1 and router 2 will be 192.168.11.1, router 1 will issue router 2 it's wan IP which is reserved on R1 as 192.168.1.20, I need each subnet to be accessible from each router.

I had problems with internet speeds on the devices running a client when connecting to opvn remotely.

I also will install diversion. With regard to diversion, if I were connected to opvn remotely would it stop adds on the device I'm connecting from ? And internally on the Lan, if I was connected to R1 wifi would diversion extend to that ?

Welcome to the club!
I don't know anything about your home or the way it was constructed, but you'll usually be much better off if you just let the AC68 handle everything. The radios are excellent. and unless you have devices >20 m from it, you should notice a marked if not exceptional increase in coverage without resorting to a powerline adapter and AP setup. To do this, You'll want your ISP's modem/router bridged so that the Asus handles the routing moving forward - a call to their tech support people will sort you out on that. THEN you configure your new router with Merlin and amtm, which will walk you through installing diversion and any other script (I'm bare bones with amtm, diversion and FreshJR's QoS). beyond that, do your openvpn thing and you're in business until the next major upgrade to the hardware.

Welcome to the club!
I don't know anything about your home or the way it was constructed, but you'll usually be much better off if you just let the AC68 handle everything. The radios are excellent. and unless you have devices >20 m from it, you should notice a marked if not exceptional increase in coverage without resorting to a powerline adapter and AP setup. To do this, You'll want your ISP's modem/router bridged so that the Asus handles the routing moving forward - a call to their tech support people will sort you out on that. THEN you configure your new router with Merlin and amtm, which will walk you through installing diversion and any other script (I'm bare bones with amtm, diversion and FreshJR's QoS). beyond that, do your openvpn thing and you're in business until the next major upgrade to the hardware.

Was that a Freudian slip in your first sentence - “just let the AC68 handle everything” ?

Setting aside the Freudian ;) ... I agree that the RT--AC86U should act as the MAIN router with all the "amtm" goodies required plus VPN server - then reconfigure old router [assuming it is an Asus Aimesh compatible one] to run as Aimesh node.

See my signature for details of my RT-AC86U and RT-AC5300 which coexist under Aimesh in a most favourable Freudian way :D!

Was that a Freudian slip in your first sentence - “just let the AC68 handle everything” ?

Ha! Finger dyslexia.
Yup, I mistyped that. Good catch. Sorry, I did mean 86, not 68

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ISP router doesn't go into bridge mode, they disabled it. Also I need to have Ethernet ports upstsirs

My ISP router doesn't go into bridge mode

Then put RT-AC86U in DMZ and forget about the ISP router.
What you want is easily doable with just 1 router and much less efforts.
And relying on those power line adapters is looking for trouble in a long run.

[emoji2962] that your ISP would REQUIRE you to use their equipment in that way is...draconian to this North American. However, I’m sure they have a well-intentioned law behind them [emoji57]

ok, sorry for the delayed response, absolute nightmare with amazon and getting this router delivered, its here now and i have it partially setup but not quite there yet.

Thus far, i have the new asus AC68U upstairs running merlin and it is connected to the ISP router downstairs via powerlines. i have internet access on the asus router and connect to its 2g wifi but not its 5g, i can connect devices to the lan ports fine and speeds are excellent on both, i have setup openvpn and exported the ovpn file but i cant connect to the server from outside, i think it is something to do with port forwarding which i dont fully understand, i believe i need to setup a port forward on the ISP router but not sure exactly what i should be puting in for the internal/external IP and the internal/external ports, i have set the LAN IP on the asus to 192.168.11.1 and the ISP router is the usual 192.168.1.1, the ISP router has issued the asus with a WAN IP of 192.168.1.22, so what exactly do i need to put into the ISP routers port forward regarding internal/external IP and ports. Also i need to fix being able to browse each subnet from each router, ie, if i am connected to the ISP router wifi i cant access the asus on 192.168.11.1 and if connected to the asus i cant access ISP router on 192.168.1.1. I have also setup DDNS but that doesnt seem to be working either, saying it cant connect please try again.

.... i have setup openvpn and exported the ovpn file but i cant connect to the server from outside, i think it is something to do with port forwarding which i dont fully understand, i believe i need to setup a port forward on the ISP router but not sure exactly what i should be puting in for the internal/external IP and the internal/external ports, i have set the LAN IP on the asus to 192.168.11.1 and the ISP router is the usual 192.168.1.1, the ISP router has issued the asus with a WAN IP of 192.168.1.22, so what exactly do i need to put into the ISP routers port forward regarding internal/external IP and ports. Also i need to fix being able to browse each subnet from each router, ie, if i am connected to the ISP router wifi i cant access the asus on 192.168.11.1 and if connected to the asus i cant access ISP router on 192.168.1.1. I have also setup DDNS but that doesnt seem to be working either, saying it cant connect please try again.
This has all been gone through with you in two of your previous threads. I suggest you re-read those threads rather than us having to repeat everything again here.

This has all been gone through with you in two of your previous threads. I suggest you re-read those threads rather than us having to repeat everything again here.

I did, there are lots of different bits, I'm trying to pick the parts I did

it would be nice if someone made an app that documented all your router settings to aid in setting up a new one. i finally have my ac3100 tweaked to perfection, yet hesitate to get an ac2900 (for the faster openvpn) because then i'll have to hunt and peck all those deeply embedded settings all over again.

that's the one thing i miss about dd-wrt, all the settings were on a few tabs with long lists of text only options, so it was MUCH easier to document and mimic the same settings on to a new device.

What if a text file could be generated, tab by tab, menu by menu, option by option? And that file could get emailed somewhere for backup?

Something like that would definitely be amazeballs in awesomesauce.

it would be nice if someone made an app that documented all your router settings to aid in setting up a new one. i finally have my ac3100 tweaked to perfection, yet hesitate to get an ac2900 (for the faster openvpn) because then i'll have to hunt and peck all those deeply embedded settings all over again.

that's the one thing i miss about dd-wrt, all the settings were on a few tabs with long lists of text only options, so it was MUCH easier to document and mimic the same settings on to a new device.

Same feeling here, i liked DD-wrt, its not supported by this router, its not like i want spoon feeding, i used asus for the ease of setting up openvpn, on dd-wrt i had to create keys etc etc, knew nothing about it but with help i learnt it all and quite impressed.

so currently, i cant connect to ovpn server, its running, on the the DDNS tab its displaying this message..

"The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment. While using an External check might allow DDNS to reflect the correct IP address, this might still interfere with remote access services."

as it stands i cant use the router for the purpose of which i purchased it

Merlin implemented double-NAT support for DDNS long time ago, so whats the problem, did you test it with correct settings?

Merlin implemented double-NAT support for DDNS long time ago, so whats the problem, did you test it with correct settings?

worked the other day, had the ethernet cable plugged into wan port did a hard reset on router and internet was working...now DDNS service isnt and also i have no internet access on the router anymore, says its connected and has WAN ip from isp router but no pages will load

DDNS cant work without internet access, you got another problem, I would reset to factory with intialize and setup manually again. Ethernet from modem-LAN to router WAN is well done.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!