What's new

New RT-AX88U 5GHZ disappears after a few minutes except on select channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

burkhacs

New Around Here
Hey forum,

I am experiencing the exact same issue as described in this thread

I did not want to necro a five year old post pertaining to different HW and FWs... But I am very surprised there is so little info since then. Seems like all the posts about this issue stem from this time period. Is there a fix out there I am not missing other than setting a set 5G channel?

I've tried factory resets multiple times using only the bare min settings to get my internet up (centurylink fiber, PPOE and vlan tagging). It always seems to eventually drop the connection and all devices go straight to 2.4ghz.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-RT-AX88U and latest merlin FW

Unless there's something specific you're referring to in that thread it just seems to be discussing channel switching due to radar detection. As such there is no "fix" because it's working as designed.

i actually had the same thing too, i have it on channel 153, i tried switching it to a higher numbered channel.

But then nothing would connect, i just undid my config put it back to 153 and its all good now

almost all my 5ghz clients are apple products

Last edited:
Unless there's something specific you're referring to in that thread it just seems to be discussing channel switching due to radar detection. As such there is no "fix" because it's working as designed.
It's not channel switching it's that the 5ghz straight up becomes unavailable and invisible.

i actually had the same thing too, i have it on channel 153, i tried switching it to a higher numbered channel.

But then nothing would connect, i just undid my config put it back to 153 and its all good now

almost all my 5ghz clients are apple products
Darn, but thanks for the input... at least I'm not alone?? Seems odd this has been going on for over five years without being fixed!

Five years? RT-AX 88U hasn't been out that long. I was having issue with RT-AX series as well with 5 ghz stop working, usually with in 12 hours to 3 to 3 days. Till I upgraded to version 384.10.

Five years? RT-AX 88U hasn't been out that long. I was having issue with RT-AX series as well with 5 ghz stop working, usually with in 12 hours to 3 to 3 days. Till I upgraded to version 384.10.

I meant the thread I linked to describing the same issue with older HW and FW is over five years old.

Seems odd this has been going on for over five years without being fixed!
I don't believe this problem has been going on for five years otherwise the forum would have been inundated with similar posts in the intervening period. That said, there have been some similar posts to your's very recently so it might be related to a recent firmware update. Try using the stock Asus firmware to establish a baseline.

Unfortunately I need vlan tagging for my internet to work and I believe stock only has that function for iptv specifically.