What's new

New RT-N12D1 Router Connection Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eleda

New Around Here
My room mate and I recently got a new RT-N12D1 router. It works well with all of our devices except my room mate's laptop. She can see the network, but it shows as being 1 bar signal strength when she is literally sitting no more than 5 feet from the router. Sitting next to her, I have 5 bars. The weird thing is, she can see all of our neighbors' networks on her list and they all show as 5 bars. She was able to connect to our old device just fine (we no longer have it.) Her network adapter drivers are all up to date. When I check the client list in the router's online portal, her laptop is shown has having the same level of connection as mine, which is represented by 4 full bars. She also has connection drops throughout the day. Connecting to other networks/devices, she has no such problem.

The router is connected to a Motorola MB7420 modem. The ethernet light on the modem is amber, which the booklet says means it has a "10 or 100 MBPS" connection....which....doesn't make much sense to me? We are only paying for 100 mbps from Comcast, which was more than enough for us in the past.

Is there something extra I have to do from a set-up stand-point to improve the connection to this laptop? I'm confused since there seems to be a contradiction in that the signal from our router is bad, but the signal from the router in a different apartment is strong.

My room mate and I recently got a new RT-N12D1 router. It works well with all of our devices except my room mate's laptop. She can see the network, but it shows as being 1 bar signal strength when she is literally sitting no more than 5 feet from the router. Sitting next to her, I have 5 bars. The weird thing is, she can see all of our neighbors' networks on her list and they all show as 5 bars. She was able to connect to our old device just fine (we no longer have it.) Her network adapter drivers are all up to date. When I check the client list in the router's online portal, her laptop is shown has having the same level of connection as mine, which is represented by 4 full bars. She also has connection drops throughout the day. Connecting to other networks/devices, she has no such problem.
Try manually selecting the WiFi channel on the router. Set the channel bandwidth to 20 MHz and then experiment with using channels 1, 6 or 11.

The router is connected to a Motorola MB7420 modem. The ethernet light on the modem is amber, which the booklet says means it has a "10 or 100 MBPS" connection....which....doesn't make much sense to me? We are only paying for 100 mbps from Comcast, which was more than enough for us in the past.
What is confusing you here? The light indicates the negotiated link speed between the modem and the router's WAN port. Even though the modem has a gigabit Ethernet port your Asus only has a 100 Mbps port, so the link is operating at 100 Mbps.

The confusing thing is the color of the light - why is it orange instead of green? Is my modem judging me for not having more MBPS?

I already tried changing the channel from 1 to 6, but i'll try changing the MHz from 20/40 to straight 20

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!