What's new

New set of AIMESH, I bought two AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Forcio

New Around Here
Dear Collegues,

I use the two AC87u since 2015 year. First as main router, second as AP (connected by cable). I am happy with wifi coverage and wifi speed. Flat, around 60 metres, many many others wifi.
Now I think to change something.
First I thought, even put order for two Asus XT9 but everywhere reviews are very mixed, most of them says XT9 is unstabled.
Very important for me is stabillity. First configuration and forget about equipment.
Now I think about set of two RT-AX86U. What do you think? Is it stable equipment?

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Dear Collegues,

I use the two AC87u since 2015 year. First as main router, second as AP. I am happy with wifi coverage and wifi speed. Flat, around 60 metres, many many others wifi.
Now I think to change something.
First I thought, even put order for two Asus XT9 but everywhere reviews are very mixed, most of them says XT9 is unstabled.
Very important for me is stabillity. First configuration and forget about equipment.
Now I think about set of two RT-AX86U. What do you think? Is it stable equipment?

Thanks for help.
As in most things computer you will get positive and negative comments about the AX86U. As for myself, I feel the AX86U is working very well for me and my home network. My house is not large enough for a mesh node although I have tested the AiMesh with an AC66U_B1 router with good results. The FIOS bandwidth of 100/100 is adequate for our needs (although I have discovered I now have 150/100 for some reason!). The Asus firmware does have a few minor bugs but works well for the most part (others will disagree). Merlin firmware is an option.
I would recommend am AX86U for the router and an AX86S for the node. They have the same radios and firmware. The AX86S does not have a 2.5 GB port but this should not matter if you use WIFI backhaul. But I suspect you have an Ethernet between your router and AP. Even so a 1 GB backhaul is good for most home networks.

As in most things computer you will get positive and negative comments about the AX86U. As for myself, I feel the AX86U is working very well for me and my home network. My house is not large enough for a mesh node although I have tested the AiMesh with an AC66U_B1 router with good results. The FIOS bandwidth of 100/100 is adequate for our needs (although I have discovered I now have 150/100 for some reason!). The Asus firmware does have a few minor bugs but works well for the most part (others will disagree). Merlin firmware is an option.
I would recommend am AX86U for the router and an AX86S for the node. They have the same radios and firmware. The AX86S does not have a 2.5 GB port but this should not matter if you use WIFI backhaul. But I suspect you have an Ethernet between your router and AP. Even so a 1 GB backhaul is good for most home networks.
Thank you,
Yep Router and AP is connected via cable.
Like I mentioned my flat isn't huge, 60 metres but I a have lot of wifi's network from neighbours so I need to force with my wifi's signal :)

"firmware does have a few minor bugs but works well for the most part (others will disagree)"
Compare to XT8 or XT9 firmware (that seems completely disaster) some bugs are acceptable but I know Merlin firmware. I used it a few years ago on this AC87u before Asus repaired own firmware.

So finally I bought set of two ax86u. I am using Asus AIMESH connceted via 2.5 G cable. It works perfectly for me for now. Stable as before on Asus AC87U. No reboot, no unsesarry routing between nodes. I was using firmw are version 3.0.0.4.388.21709, now 22068. No issues but I have configured manually wifi channel, no smart wifi. Some ports are forwarded.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!