What's new

New Smallnetbuilder "ASUS Router Feature Review" and grammar lessons

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottegos2

Occasional Visitor
From the review:
The gramatical "Enabled" options which really meant "Enable" are also fixed​
There is a fine irony in misspelling gramatical [sic] in that sentence.

Too bad the new firmware doesn't fix the even more annoying series of Chinese English strings after clicking "logout": First we get "Are you sure to log out?" and then the even more cringe-inducing "You have Logout successfully."

Also there's an inaccuracy in that article regarding AiCloud. You do not need to do any port forwarding configuration for it to work. The router will automatically open the ports as needed in its firewall. In fact, port forwarding has nothing to do with this, since the concept of a port forward is to forward to another device behind your LAN, not to the router itself.

Too bad the new firmware doesn't fix the even more annoying series of Chinese English strings after clicking "logout": First we get "Are you sure to log out?" and then the even more cringe-inducing "You have Logout successfully."

I actually find that kind of entertaining. But my favorite is the list of "famous" service ports and games on the port forwarding page.

Seriously, these bad translations do make Asus look a little unprofessional.....

Also there's an inaccuracy in that article regarding AiCloud. You do not need to do any port forwarding configuration for it to work. The router will automatically open the ports as needed in its firewall. In fact, port forwarding has nothing to do with this, since the concept of a port forward is to forward to another device behind your LAN, not to the router itself.

Yeah, I had wondered why he wrote that. I didn't forward any ports and AiCloud works fine....

Thanks for the comments and for pointing out the inaccuracy.

The port forwarding portion was a bit of confusion on my part while flipping back and forth testing the router and wireless AP modes.

While in wireless mode, or set up in router mode as a router behind your primary router, the AICloud does warn you about needing to set up port forwarding. The latter being most obvious as the ASUS is not the primary router.

When set up as the primary router the port forwarding messages go away and everything works great. In hindsight it's intuitive that the router senses it's not primary and alerts you to port forward, spelling out the ports for you. Other cloud devices I've tested though don't ask you to set up dynamic DNS.

I need to put an addendum to the article, thanks for pointing out the inaccuracy.

Last edited:
From the review:
For years, it irritates the crap out of me that China/Taiwan small-Co's are too cheap to pay an English first-language employee to work the UIs and user manuals. probably same for other languages.

How much could that cost???

For years, it irritates the crap out of me that China/Taiwan small-Co's are too cheap to pay an English first-language employee to work the UIs and user manuals. probably same for other languages.

How much could that cost???

At one point I considered cleaning up the English dictionnary file. Two problems however:

1) Not being a native English speaker myself, whatever cleanup I'd do would still not be perfect
2) There are still quite a few strings that are embedded in the code itself rather than in a translated string, altho these are the minority, or usually limited to uncommon error messages.

Tell you what - if there is interest in having a community-edited version of the English dictionary file, I'm willing to help coordinate the effort. If the final result does look good, I could submit it for Asus then and see if they would be interested in using it.

The dictionary file is just a plain text file, with a string identifier, followed by the actual text. The way I would do it is by creating a Wiki page with the actual file, and people would be able to go ahead and edit it online.

I don't remember if Github's Wiki allows commenting on Wiki changes, if it doesn't then I could start a thread here on the forums for debating changes amongst yourselves.

At one point I considered cleaning up the English dictionnary file. Two problems however:

1) Not being a native English speaker myself, whatever cleanup I'd do would still not be perfect
2) There are still quite a few strings that are embedded in the code itself rather than in a translated string, altho these are the minority, or usually limited to uncommon error messages.

Tell you what - if there is interest in having a community-edited version of the English dictionary file, I'm willing to help coordinate the effort. If the final result does look good, I could submit it for Asus then and see if they would be interested in using it.

The dictionary file is just a plain text file, with a string identifier, followed by the actual text. The way I would do it is by creating a Wiki page with the actual file, and people would be able to go ahead and edit it online.

I don't remember if Github's Wiki allows commenting on Wiki changes, if it doesn't then I could start a thread here on the forums for debating changes amongst yourselves.

As a native English speaker I am very willing to contribute to the effort, perhaps corrections could be issued as pull requests on GitHub?

Good idea , I'm used to correcting proofreading 'english' manuals before they go to print from years ago.