What's new

New to Aimesh. Got a couple of questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MorrisZ

New Around Here
Hey!

I have a AX86 and a AX88.

1. looking to use the 88 as the main AX86U as the node. I’d need a 20 metre Ethernet cable to reach the node from the 88. Is wireless better at all or should I stick with a Ethernet cable? And do I take use of the 2.4ghz port on the 86 at all?

2. should I be splitting the 2.4 and 5 bands and just staying on the 5 all the time? (All we have on WiFi is 2 iPhone’s and laptops

appreciate the help of anyone as I am very new to all of this.

Hey!

I have a AX86 and a AX88.

1. looking to use the 88 as the main AX86U as the node. I’d need a 20 metre Ethernet cable to reach the node from the 88. Is wireless better at all or should I stick with a Ethernet cable? And do I take use of the 2.4ghz port on the 86 at all?

2. should I be splitting the 2.4 and 5 bands and just staying on the 5 all the time? (All we have on WiFi is 2 iPhone’s and laptops

appreciate the help of anyone as I am very new to all of this.

Use a wired backhaul, if you have it. This removes the uncertainty of WiFi and releases the WiFi for client use only, if you configure for Ethernet Backhaul Mode. Otherwise, use a wireless backhaul.

You can use the 2.5 Gigabit port but it won't achieve that speed unless the cable supports it and there is an equal port on the other end. A 2xRT-AX86U AiMesh would enjoy a 2.5 Gigabit wired backhaul.

Using same or different SSIDs is your choice. Try it both ways and see how your clients behave. Same SSIDs relies on Smart Connect node band steering to encourage clients to connect to the better band/signal. Different SSIDs relies on you to connect clients to the preferred band/signal. With different SSIDs, you can allocate certain clients to certain WLANs... but given few clients, it doesn't much matter where they connect.

Be sure to reset the firmware to factory defaults BEFORE you configure it.

OE

Last edited:
@OzarkEdge

Using same or different SSIDs is your choice. Try it both ways and see how your clients behave. Same SSIDs relies on Smart Connect node band steering to encourage clients to connect to the better band/signal. Different SSIDs relies on you to connect clients to the preferred band/signal. With different SSIDs, you can allocate certain clients to certain WLANs... but given few clients, it doesn't much matter where they connect.

Doesn't AImesh always make 1 big wifi network with the same SSID everywhere ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!