What's new

New to Asuswrt-Merlin, issue with device dropping connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevesolo

New Around Here
Hi everyone, I'm new to Asuswrt-Merlin. I recently purchased an RT-AX88U and initially installed Asuswrt-Merlin firmware v388.1, I have since rolled back to v386.8.

Here's what happening, my wife's MacBook Pro drops WiFi connection pretty frequently. I figured since all other devices are fine that the issue was local to her OS or hardware so I completely reinstalled macOS and even had Apple check the hardware. My friend suggested the rollback in firmware and to configure MAC filtering to ban her computer's MAC address from the 2.4 GHz band, which I did. The issue still persists unfortunately. We have other Mac's on the LAN and those seem to be fine. Seeking any suggestions or tips folks may have to resolve this. Thanks in advance!

Hi, go back to 386.7_2 and do a clean install. For clean install; After installing 386.7_2, turn the device off and on again for 10 - 15 seconds using the on/off button, then reset to factory settings. When performing a factory reset, also tick the box next to the "factory reset" button. After the reset, re-enter all your information and perform a clean installation.
1676183990149.jpeg

Thanks @naznaznaz will give that a shot. For what's it worth, prior to your response, I tried creating a 5 GHz guest network and connected my wife's mac to it. Surely, we haven't seen the issue...yet. What could be the reason as to why this isn't dropping the connection? The normal setup has both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands sharing the SSID which my friend believes could be the culprit, hence banning her MAC address from 2.4 GHz, which didn't help. So I'm wondering why the guest network seems to have helped and if it makes sense to even do what you mentioned if this is working for her (and knowing it's only her computer that's experiencing this issue).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!