What's new

New to Merlin - Asus RT-AC86U - release 384.7_2 - NAT loopback?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for that. I was trying to define a local DNS hostname, but the GUI does not allow dots/periods. I ended up adding a hosts.add file in /jffs/configs/ to manually configure the DNS hostname including periods.

Another n00b question (if you don't mind): I setup port-forwarding for a few necessities, but they don't appear to be working. Did I miss some firewall setting somewhere that affects port-forwarding?

No. There's nothing special about port forwarding. You can check the current status at System Log > Port Forwarding.

Here's a picture of two port forwards. The 58123 incoming port is correctly being forwarded. The 8443 does not appear to be working. Please help me understand what I'm missing or doing wrong. (I'm a very long-time DD-WRT user, FYI.) Thanks again for helping me get setup with Merlin on this new router.

Port Forward Example.png

The router's own HTTPS server uses port 8443 so I think it won't forward it.

Someone else was having trouble with this particular port. It might be a bug, or possibly by design because I think Asus' AiCloud stuff uses it.

The router's own HTTPS server uses port 8443 so I think it won't forward it.

Someone else was having trouble with this particular port. It might be a bug, or possibly by design because I think Asus' AiCloud stuff uses it.
Thank you again for your keen insight. I can use another port, no problem. Just need to configure a few other things to match the new port. I think I owe you at least one or two beers, and maybe a pizza by now. ;)

Here's something unexpected. My WAN IP address changed sometime today. Thanks, ISP. For some reason, my very long time pseudo-static IP address changed. Probably due to the new router / MAC address, I'd guess. Or total coincidence. Either way, it wasn't helping at all today. Just need to let the new IP address propagate, and test a little bit later.

Yup, that "fixed" it. Incredibly poor timing. I just insured my DynDNS.org domain name was properly set, and setup the DDNS client on the router to keep it updated. Not certain why my other inadyn client stopped working. /me scratches head...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!