What's new

New to MOCA watched several 'Alliance' Videos, have many questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teletype

New Around Here
Hi all,

Found this forum as a resource for MOCA and i am considering using it as a resolution to wifi signal issues, and extending the LAN to areas of a 2-story home that are not currently wired but have coax.

The problem i'm running into is the discrepancy of what's advertised for the End-user/DIY Installer and the service provider.

I'm seeing DIY videos saying add a filter at POE, bond the router and end point and add a wifi extender...and walla...

Then there's service provider videos that are talking about going to the cable provider's distribution point and testing that with a fancy expensive meter for proper frequency and channel, go in the house and test each coax drop for the same thing, etc.

While this isnt hard to do, it is without a fancy meter and I'm simply a DIY end user courting this system for use in my house...is it safe to assume that these can be skipped if the coax is currently receiving cable internet/tv service?

Looking for some help here before i invest in this technology

So the reason for the test at the cable demarc is to confirm that all the coax splitters are passing the moca signals. But if you know you have a direct run of wire between two locations, you can just connect the moca adapters since there isn't a splitter to be concerned with.

I think moca adapters will work great in your application since you can simply put one at the demarc if the splitters are good, or just put one at each end of a 'home run' cable.

The MoCA videos are overly cautious about the requirements. All cable companies install a POE filter at your home. Unless you have an extremely large home, the odds are above 80% that you can deploy MoCA without any hiccups. Be on the lookout for old satellite installations and wires that are not a part of the main cable system.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!