What's new

New to MOCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anderson K

New Around Here
Hello,
I want to start using MOCA adapters in my home to hookup two wifi routers in different levels of a home.
Cable modem will reside on the 1st floor w/router
2nd router will reside on the third floor
I have a dedicated coax cable running from the 1st to 3rd floor, my thoughts were to purchase 2 ECB6200 to route traffic from the 1st router to the second router.
My questions are the following:
Do i need a moca enabled router?
Will this work with the MOCA adapater ECB6200 ?

Thanks,
Anderson

Hello,
I want to start using MOCA adapters in my home to hookup two wifi routers in different levels of a home.
I have a dedicated coax cable running from the 1st to 3rd floor, my thoughts were to purchase 2 ECB6200 to route traffic from the 1st router to the second router.

Thanks,
Anderson
You won't need a MOCA capable router which is good as they are few and far between.

This is how you wire it up.

PRIMARY ROUTER:

1. Jumper cable from a LAN port on your router to the Ethernet port on your first MOCA adapter. (Either adapter in kit will work.)
2. Coaxial cable connection to MOCA F fitting. This is the cable running between floors.
3. AC Power

SECONDARY ROUTER OR AP

1. Jumper cable from the second MOCA adapter to a LAN port on your second router unless you plan to run the second router double NATed behind the first router in which case you would then connect the jumper to the WAN port.
2. Coaxial cable coming from the 1st floor will be connected to the F fitting on the MOCA adapter.
3. AC power.

To maximize through put on the MOCA link check the following:
1. Any splitters on the coaxial cable running between floors are rated for at least 2 Ghz. CATV splitters are often just rated for 900 Mhz.
2. All coaxial cable F-fittings are good and secure. Twist on fittings and hexagonal crimp on fittings are bad.
3. The fewer splices, splitters, and barrel connections the better.
4. Fittings must be tight.

1. Any splitters on the coaxial cable running between floors are rated for at least 2 Ghz. CATV splitters are often just rated for 900 Mhz.

Even the ones that the CableCo installs might be rated only to 1GHz, so double check the specs on any splitter before using...

And check the condition and quality of connections and coax - I ended up having to pull all new coax thruout the house as the old plant just wasn't cutting it (just for cable tv after Cox went total digital - was having a lot of noise and dropouts) - as luck would have it, a few weeks later, when I signed up for DirecTV, they did another pull (overlay, not replace) of RG6 - go figure...

One other tip - if one is running both DOCSIS for broadband (or CATV) and DBS (Satellite), watch for potential interference - MOCA adapters should detect, and apply the correct profile..

Screen Shot 2016-12-10 at 8.46.31 AM.png

Good info below on MOCA in general...

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2007/at-sovadia-MoCA-overview-0507.pdf

Hello,

Thanks,
Anderson

I have a very similar problem 3d to 1st floor, but the only thing that looks like a MOCA adapter is this thing: http://www.sendtek.com/prod-ces83x.php

According to the guy in the store, I need two of these (one for each side of the coax cable). I am concerned whether or not these would change the IP address domain for the clients after these adapters, and whether they could interfere with the digital TV signal.
If anyone has a clue about how these things work , please help....

I have a very similar problem 3d to 1st floor, but the only thing that looks like a MOCA adapter is this thing: http://www.sendtek.com/prod-ces83x.php

According to the guy in the store, I need two of these (one for each side of the coax cable). I am concerned whether or not these would change the IP address domain for the clients after these adapters, and whether they could interfere with the digital TV signal.
If anyone has a clue about how these things work , please help....

1) moca is just an extension of the ethernet cable. No change in addresses.
2) possible. identify your cable company service - maybe get the model of the cable co modem ? and talk with Sendtek.
3) the other issue can be if there are splitters in line that will not pass above 1 Ghz. That moca device appears to be moca 2 which required all splitters to be rated for up to 2Ghz bidirectional.
4) they are generally plug and play. nothing to configure or manage.

1) moca is just an extension of the ethernet cable. No change in addresses.
2) possible. identify your cable company service - maybe get the model of the cable co modem ? and talk with Sendtek.
3) the other issue can be if there are splitters in line that will not pass above 1 Ghz. That moca device appears to be moca 2 which required all splitters to be rated for up to 2Ghz bidirectional.
4) they are generally plug and play. nothing to configure or manage.

Hey, thanks for the answers, they are very helful.

I followed your device, and now I have an instruction manual from Sendtek, but there seems to be nothing special in that manual - mostly plug and play - as you mentioned.
I sent an e-mail to the cable company, but they have not answered yet. They stated the frequency of their analog signal on their website, but I cant seem to find anything about the digital signal which I use. The sendtec description says something about 6-96MHz but I cant figure out whether this is the frequency used or the frequency not used (i.e. lefto for TV signal).

I also got information from that Sendtek saying that they use attenuation dB measurement - not distance over coax. So, if I understand correctly, maximum allowed signal drop is 80 db, but if I have than 40 db atennualtion, I can expect 500Mbps? Not realy sure what attenuation is and how can I determine what kind of attenuation in dB can I expect in my scenario.
The coax cable is labeled 75 ohm, and some letter markings...
What would be the distance of a cable necessary to create attenuation of more than 40db?

RG6 is usually printed on the cable itself...

MOCA tries to stay out of the way of CATV and DOCSIS channels - that's they they have the DBS/CATV settings...

I checked, there would be no splitters on that particular line between the places where the two MOCA units would be connected, but I have an in-wall connector on one side for one connection option, and for the other, I would be connecting directly after the HUAWEI fiber internet thing with a separate cable to the HVAC room, where the router should expand the network furhter.

Should I check the frequency ratings of the coax cable connectors too?

, post: 295847, member: 7568"]RG6 is usually printed on the cable itself...

MOCA tries to stay out of the way of CATV and DOCSIS channels - that's they they have the DBS/CATV settings...[/QUOTE]

Still nothing from the cable company regarding their frequency range and possible interference. Sendtek seems to be better organized than the local cable company for support...

I guess I will give it a try probably next week, and post how it went.

degrub, THANKS FOR THE VALUABLE INFORMATION AND ADVICE

You need a MoCA adapter at the first router to inject network information into the coax cable. A second adapter will convert MoCA back to ethernet on where you want to place the second router. Put the second router in infrastructure mode. Here is a video link to the installation.

Click HERE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!