What's new

New to Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SadBeatz

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, recently bought my first router (that's not from ISP) a Asus DSL-AX82U.
After setting it up I noticed that my ping is now higher than before

Ping with ISP Router = 20/23 ms (League of Legends)
Ping with Asus Router = 28/30 ms

I have asuswrt-merlin firmware 388.1 with adaptive QoS cake
(no idea if it's configured properly)
Screenshot 2023-01-08 010112.png

Internet speeds: 35/40 mbps down / 15 mbps down

PS: I don't know if this is the right place to post or if I should've posted in Lan & Wan

Welcome to the forums @SadBeatz.

What are the results without QoS enabled?

If you can bridge your ISP supplied modem/router and return the low-end hardware DSL-AX82U, I would suggest you buy/try an RT-AX68U instead.

Welcome to the forums @SadBeatz.

What are the results without QoS enabled?

If you can bridge your ISP supplied modem/router and return the low-end hardware DSL-AX82U, I would suggest you buy/try an RT-AX68U instead.
I can't return because I need the DSL part and same ping with QoS enabled and disabled
(btw don't say "low-end" it was expensive af xd)

I can't return because I need the DSL part and same ping with QoS enabled and disabled

You can usually bridge the ISP router into just a modem, bypassing the router. But I'm assuming you wanted to return that to save rental fees.

2 in 1 units are not typically ideal, a separate modem and router usually more flexible.

It could be as simple as you got a new IP (which you almost certainly did) when swapping out and now your path is a bit longer. Or you're connecting to a different server for the game etc.

Are you hardwired or wifi to the router from the PC/game console?

Did you test with stock firmware and settings before converting to Asus and changing stuff around? Also after flashing Merlin, did you do a factory reset?

I'd say factory reset it, see if it is any better, then check after each change you make.

You can also try going back to 386 firmware as 388 is brand new and may not be ideal yet.

But any time you flash a major firmware change (386 to 388 or 388 to 386), factory reset and re-enter the settings manually, not from backup.

You can usually bridge the ISP router into just a modem, bypassing the router. But I'm assuming you wanted to return that to save rental fees.

2 in 1 units are not typically ideal, a separate modem and router usually more flexible.

It could be as simple as you got a new IP (which you almost certainly did) when swapping out and now your path is a bit longer. Or you're connecting to a different server for the game etc.

Are you hardwired or wifi to the router from the PC/game console?

Did you test with stock firmware and settings before converting to Asus and changing stuff around? Also after flashing Merlin, did you do a factory reset?

I'd say factory reset it, see if it is any better, then check after each change you make.

You can also try going back to 386 firmware as 388 is brand new and may not be ideal yet.

But any time you flash a major firmware change (386 to 388 or 388 to 386), factory reset and re-enter the settings manually, not from backup.
Where I live there's no need to return the router.
I am hardwired.
I did try stock firmware and that's why I tried merlin and yes after I updated I did a factory reset
I did try 386 firmware and it was the same

If you're not paying for the ISP equipment, and you can bridge it, then consider the better option I suggested.

If the suggestions made by @drinkingbird above don't get you the performance you want, then you need to consider those other options.

Sorry, but it is low-end. The price of equipment is rarely equivalent to the performance that equipment has. The DSL-AX82U is not a powerhouse. Regardless of the cost in your area.

Is 7 or 8ms that important? That's what your decision may rest on.

Where I live there's no need to return the router.
I am hardwired.
I did try stock firmware and that's why I tried merlin and yes after I updated I did a factory reset
I did try 386 firmware and it was the same

If you factory reset on both versions and did not enable any features/tweak anything, and still had the same results, then it is narrowed down to either that router just not being great, in which case you could return it, use the ISP router (since you said it is free) in bridge mode (modem only, basically the same setup you have now in two separate boxes) and get a router-only Asus, can get a higher end one for the same or less price without the DSL modem built in.

Or you just have lucked out and gotten a worse path to the game server. You could try changing the WAN MAC on the router (not sure if the DSL combos allow that but I'd think so), which should get you a new IP and maybe a better path.

If you do bridge the ISP router, you'll need to check your latency (ping again) as it could make it worse! Some ISP routers will still "buffer" the bridged connection which has a detrimental effect on latency/ping.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!