1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

New to synology

Discussion in 'Synology' started by ugo1, Nov 13, 2019.

1. ugo1

ugo1 Regular Contributor

Hi,

my DIY server die under thunderstorm lighting. So I almost decided to pass to a synology nas. I have two questions

1- my DIY server was configured with a ext4 raid 5. So will the synology nas recognize it? (I want to avoid to use the backups disks of the backup)

2- the DSM OS where is installed? All drives or one drive?

2. Clark Griswald

Clark Griswald Senior Member

3. pcmarc

pcmarc New Around Here

Hi,

I think that would not be possible,
    The best solution in my opinion should be to do a clean installation with synology assistant configure everything properly RAID, ACL etc... and recover data from ext HD, or else ...

2- the DSM OS where is installed? All drives or one drive?
    The firmware is installed both in the internal flash (just the initial kernel required to boot up)
    and in a partition present in *all* disks. Those partitions are mounted in a RAID 1 fashion so as far as
    you have at least one hard disk working, system should have at least one valid copy of DSM.

The system partition and the swap partition (currently both about 2GB in size) are managed 'trasparently',
    i.e. in web UI you don't see any mention of it. When you add a new disk to the NAS and tell to 'initialize it',
    that's the time when the system+swap partitions get created.