What's new

New to synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ugo1

Regular Contributor
Hi,

my DIY server die under thunderstorm lighting. So I almost decided to pass to a synology nas. I have two questions

1- my DIY server was configured with a ext4 raid 5. So will the synology nas recognize it? (I want to avoid to use the backups disks of the backup)

2- the DSM OS where is installed? All drives or one drive?

Hi,

I think that would not be possible,
The best solution in my opinion should be to do a clean installation with synology assistant configure everything properly RAID, ACL etc... and recover data from ext HD, or else ...

2- the DSM OS where is installed? All drives or one drive?
The firmware is installed both in the internal flash (just the initial kernel required to boot up)
and in a partition present in *all* disks. Those partitions are mounted in a RAID 1 fashion so as far as
you have at least one hard disk working, system should have at least one valid copy of DSM.

The system partition and the swap partition (currently both about 2GB in size) are managed 'trasparently',
i.e. in web UI you don't see any mention of it. When you add a new disk to the NAS and tell to 'initialize it',
that's the time when the system+swap partitions get created.