What's new

New wired router question for gaming systems / VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

Home is all hardwired, and I have multiple gaming systems connected. Looking for a new wired router to give full access to multiple gaming systems. Just need a solid, easy wired router that gives full access, so I can just set up a VPN on it.

Input, and recommendations please.

Thanks!

What are your download and upload speeds from your ISP?

What speed do want through your VPN tunnel?

Do you have the patience and/or skill set to use a a router OS such as Pfsense and build a router on a PC with a I5 or better processor which supports AES-NI?

400 and 20 line, may be going gig soon.

No on device operating systems, all chromebooks, and multiple Xbox's.

I currently use Express VPN, so I would run that through the router.

Last edited:
For 420Mb/s aggregate WAN, potentially upgrading to 1-2Gb/s, I'd go right to an x86-based firewall, 2Ghz+/core Celeron/Pentium/i-Series, with Intel i210 port (NOT i211) or better (for enough queues per port). The box could embedded, low-power, like a Qotom or Protectli off Amazon/AliExpress, or a used SFF pc with a multi-NIC Intel x350 card in it, plus SSD and RAM.

Additionally, since you're running latency-sensitive traffic (gaming), I would definitely run a firewall distro that supports SQM -- OpenWRT, IPFire, pf or OPN sense, or Untangle for a more UTM-style box, etc.