What's new

New ZenWIFI XT9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think they just released for certain region only

I can't see any big difference with XT8 apart from more speed in 5GHZ-1 band.

Well that speed difference isn’t insignificant, and the XT9 offers USB 3.2 instead of the XT8’s 3.1. But I can’t find the XT9 on sale anywhere in the US. I’m more interested in checking out the pro line, so my FOMO on this one is pretty low.

Well that speed difference isn’t insignificant, and the XT9 offers USB 3.2 instead of the XT8’s 3.1. But I can’t find the XT9 on sale anywhere in the US. I’m more interested in checking out the pro line, so my FOMO on this one is pretty low.
In fact I do not use USB port, so, for me there is not a really advance in XT8 in front of XT8.

Please can you tell me some pro models?

USB 3.2 instead of the XT8’s 3.1.
They are the same thing. You can thank the USB-IF for such a screwed up naming scheme. USB 3.2 Gen 1 is the new name for USB 3.1 Gen 1. Same with USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 which is the new name for USB 3.1 Gen 2.

That would be the new Zen Wifi XT12. 2 GHz CPU.

Sadly, technology/misinformation-fueled marketing/ads/reviews are ruining everything.

OE

There's really only 3 reasonable names for the types of USB 3.x.. the original names. My understanding is they created all these new names to help sell more of the same hardware over and over since they didn't have anything new to offer for a long time. Here's my favorite breakdown- https://www.verbatim.com/usbexplained

I just refer to them by their original names. USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2. Nothing else. The rest of those names are hogwash.
However manufacturers don't have a choice, they have to name them by their official names.

For non-current hardware, the original names should be used, IMO.

For anything current, the new names mean something. Spec's change. Details are important.

Btw, USB 4 is new and available. Along with Thunderbolt 4 too (with significant differences).

They are the same thing. You can thank the USB-IF for such a screwed up naming scheme. USB 3.2 Gen 1 is the new name for USB 3.1 Gen 1. Same with USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 which is the new name for USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Thanks, but I’m already aware of this nomenclature ☺️ Since ASUS is using the old style lingo in their current product literature I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the XT9’s USB port was gen 2 and the XT8’s is gen 1–although given the LAN-side data transmission speed bottleneck it would be a superfluous enhancement anyway.

I also assumed (perhaps more reliably) that the XT9 will continue to lack support for exFAT formatting…

In fact I do not use USB port, so, for me there is not a really advance in XT8 in front of XT8.

There are two Pro options—the ZenWifi XT12 Pro and the ZenWifi ET12 Pro—the latter is Wi-Fi 6e capable (which unless you have a wired backhaul is a disadvantageous option compared to the regular ol’ Wi-Fi 6 version, just as it is for the XT8/ET8 options)…

I thought you meant really Pro models, not models labelled Pro by Asus :)

I thought you meant really Pro models, not models labelled Pro by Asus :)
"Pro" in itself is just a marketing label, regardless of the application. Nobody routes traffic "professionally", Pro is just a way of saying "higher-end".

"Pro" in itself is just a marketing label, regardless of the application. Nobody routes traffic "professionally", Pro is just a way of saying "higher-end".
In fact, there are really "Pro" routers, as some Cisco, Ubiquiti, etc. routers. So, I thought Asus had created a really "Pro" line (didn't rememebered the "Pro" marketing label in XT12).

In fact, there are really "Pro" routers, as some Cisco, Ubiquiti, etc. routers. So, I thought Asus had created a really "Pro" line (didn't rememebered the "Pro" marketing label in XT12).
The full name is "ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12". So I guess you could say that the XT12 and ET12 are part of a "ZenWifi Pro" line of product (they both use the top-of-the-line CPU from Broadcom), versus the previous ZenWifi (which used entry-level BCM CPUs).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!