What's new

Newb question on home ethernet wiring with VOIP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

branon

Occasional Visitor
I am planning to have my home ethernet wired and as i understand it the link goes from
cable modem --> router ---> switch ---> various ethernet connections ( drops) across the house.

My plan was to have the modem, router, and switch all in one central closet.

Currently, the modem and router are located in "home office room".

The installer who will do the drops is coming tomorrow morning to give an estimate for doing the drops.

However, i just realized that my ooma scout is located in my office and comes between the cable modem and the router. There is no way I want to have the scout located in a closet since it is connected to the telephones.

As i see it there are two ways, i can handle this

a) Despite Ooma's advice, place the hub behind the router and just connect it to one of the drops (maybe have two drops in my office or use a second switch in my room so that I have connection both for my computer and the hub). I know that the reviewer on this website for Ooma did something like that and found Ooma to work just as well.

b) Continue to keep the cable modem, ooma hub, and router in my office but use the drop in my office to connect to the switch. i.e. the drop in my room is being used in a reverse mode as it were. And, of course, from the "central" switch in the closet, the internet connection is transmitted to the other locations in the home.
(In this case the computer in my office simply uses one of the lan ports in the router).

Is the second option feasible?

Many Thanks.

Yes, the second option is fine. You can even move the router back to the closet if you like and just have the ooma in your office.

Thanks Tim for the quick reply. You are right about the router being in the closet. I suppose, then I would need two drops in my office room, one for taking the modem connection to the router, and another to bring the connection back to the pc.
(my cable modem has only one lan outlet)

Yes, the second option is fine. You can even move the router back to the closet if you like and just have the ooma in your office.

Sorry. Thought you had two drops. Yes, if you have only one drop, then you would need everything except the switch in your office.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!