What's new

newbie - Bandwidth Monitor / Traffic History confusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g121

Occasional Visitor
QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor ; Traffic Analyzer - Statistic confusion

Hi SNBForums,

non-techie newbie here .. it's quite an impressive forum you have here. most over my head but it's good to tap into the knowledge/experience of those who know.

i ran my N66U router with Merlin for years. to say i was very pleased is an understatement.

recently our household membership has increased, so it felt like time to upgrade to a new router.

so i grabbed an AC86U. Performance & Coverage wise, i'm extremely pleased but the firmware functionality has me confused.

if i don't agree to sending my router data to 3rd party Trend Micro, then the "QoS - WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" and the "Traffic Analyzer - Statistic" do not work at all. Nothing. Nada. i've tried both latest stock ASUS firmware as well as the latest stable Merlin FW. is there something flakey with my install or is this working as intended?

i'm quite willing to forego the indepth functionality provided by Trend Micro.

just like my N66U/Merlin did beautifully, i simply want to be able to see:
1) current traffic throughput by device real time.
2) capture traffic volume history by device.

how can i accomplish my 2 simple traffic monitoring/history wants?

thank you in advance for your insights.

just like my N66U/Merlin did beautifully, i simply want to be able to see:
1) current traffic throughput by device real time.
2) capture traffic volume history by device.
Traffic Analyzer > Traffic Monitor

EDIT: If you're referring specifically to the "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)" option, that option is no longer available on your router. That feature was added by Merlin based on some old Tomato code. That code is not compatible with the newer router platforms. The modern alternative is to enable Trend Micro DPI and use the Traffic Analyzer (but you do have to enable Trend Micro DPI because that's how it works).

Last edited: