What's new

Newbie Building a network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dawng

New Around Here
Hi I am looking for some help building a network. I will explain as much as I can as I am a newbie at networking.

I have 2 buildings which are about 50 ft apart. building 1 has line of sight Internet hooked up to a Dlink router. Building 2 has a cat 5 cable running from linksys router to dlink router in building 1. now I have bought a new dlink wireless AC router. What I'm wondering is to get the best performance in building 2, do I put the new router in building 1 hooked to main Internet supply or building 2 replacing linksys router??

I would really appreciate anyone's advice. And remember I'm new to this so I probably won't understand to much technical terms.

Thanks

Hi I am looking for some help building a network. I will explain as much as I can as I am a newbie at networking.

I have 2 buildings which are about 50 ft apart. building 1 has line of sight Internet hooked up to a Dlink router. Building 2 has a cat 5 cable running from linksys router to dlink router in building 1. now I have bought a new dlink wireless AC router. What I'm wondering is to get the best performance in building 2, do I put the new router in building 1 hooked to main Internet supply or building 2 replacing linksys router??

I would really appreciate anyone's advice. And remember I'm new to this so I probably won't understand to much technical terms.

Thanks

Is the line of sight connection in building 1 coming from your ISP or a local MacDonalds? Is that your main service in? I will assume it is.

If you have a wire between the two buildings, all you need is a good switch in building 2.

My line of sight is coming from my ISP and is my main connection in building 1.
With a switch am I able to get decent wifi with multiple devices?

My line of sight is coming from my ISP and is my main connection in building 1.
With a switch am I able to get decent wifi with multiple devices?

I always wanted to try a high powered antenna pointed at a MacDonalds, Starbucks, or other free wifi just for grins. Maybe someday.

Any decent router N600 on up can be set up as a wireless access point from the switch. Or just wire the subordinate device into the switch. 300 feet, more or less, is the Ethernet limit on the length of a cable segment to the switch.

I always wanted to try a high powered antenna pointed at a MacDonalds, Starbucks, or other free wifi just for grins. Maybe someday.

Any decent router N600 on up can be set up as a wireless access point from the switch. Or just wire the subordinate device into the switch. 300 feet, more or less, is the Ethernet limit on the length of a cable segment to the switch.

The problem with using a directional antenna is that the AP at mcdonalds for example isnt strong enough to reach back at you.

50ft isnt too long, You can use ethernet if you want or point to point wireless AC link. Just be sure to waterproof it. You can also use fibre optics with SFP+ if you have switches/routers with those ports. The switch or router you use should really depend on the performance and interface you want to use.

A switch doesnt have wifi, you need to connect the wifi AP to the switch. A switch just lets you have more ports.

Uhhhh, if you are using a directional antenna, that doesn't have any issues. Only increasing your radio power causes unbalanced link issues.

The problem with using a directional antenna is that the AP at mcdonalds for example isnt strong enough to reach back at you.

Yes - as said.
Antenna gain benefits transmitting and receiving.
A transmitter with extra power as compared to the other end's transmitter power, will cause an unbalanced link. One end out-talks the other end. Like an AMP'd rock band out-talks an audience member.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!