What's new

Newbie needs to combine subnets on two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macboggle

New Around Here
I have recently purchased a Netgear nighthawk router configured to use VYPRVPN with Tomato firmware IP address is 192.168.17.1. This connects to a LAN port on my existing router , a vigor 2920 ip 192.168.0.1. I need the PC's that will be connected to the VPN router to be able to talk to printers etc on the existing vigor router and vice versa. Can someone please talk me through how I achieve this in simple terms please.

To set this up you need to configure your current router to route traffic to the router you are plugging in using a route statement to where current say A is pointing to the WAN IP of router B (the router being plugged in). You need to make sure the networks are different IP networks or it will not work. To share printers it would be easier to have the printers in router A otherwise you need to change firewall access on router B.

VPN will take some work depending on where the VPN is running from if you are using VPN. Some network access may require work on both firewalls depending on what you are trying to do.

I don't own any of your routers so I can't help with details.

What is the purpose of the netgear? Because there may be much, much simpler ways to connect everything.