What's new

Newbie question - sorry in advanced.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

benedek

New Around Here
Question relating my home network,
I drew a somewhat idiotic diagram of my network, here it is:

attachment.php

My question is, I need a few more network ports in the end of the cable leading to "Comp 3", how would I go about doing this without:

1. losing my hub.
2. buying a router.
3. slowing down my connection (making the 8 cords cable into 4 and 4 (if that is even possible)).
4. Putting up another 30 meters ethernet cable which goes from the hub to the room where "Comp 3" is.

Do I have to buy a switch? if I do where do I put it? (is it fine just putting it before of "Comp 3"?) Will my newly bought PS3 be able to connect to the switch and communicate with it normally?
and is there another solution besides buying a switch?

Thanks for the help in advanced, Ben.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 439
Yes. Buy a switch and plug the Computer 3 cable into it and another cable from the switch to Computer 3.

But it would be better to buy a router and stop using XP Connection sharing. You could then reuse your "hub" as your second switch and you would get the computer out of the role of being your router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!