What's new

Newest Merlin Firmware on AC 68u, very low NAS x-fer speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zacharybinx34

Occasional Visitor
I'm getting only about 12-14 MB/s x-ferring from my NAS USB 3.0 HD storage. It's plugged into the blue USB port, and I have gigabyte ethernet enabled. HD is formated to EXT4

Any ideas? =/

1644982357425.png

Sounds like just about what I'd expect from that router w/ USB. These consumer-grade routers are notoriously bad when it comes to USB storage performance. You're never going to get anything close to a desktop/laptop or standalone NAS. To even refer to the router as NAS is laughable. IMO, USB is primarily useful for transient files and perhaps off-loading things from /jffs. But as a real network NAS? Most ppl are expecting too much.

Sounds like just about what I'd expect from that router w/ USB. These consumer-grade routers are notoriously bad when it comes to USB storage performance. You're never going to get anything close to a desktop/laptop or standalone NAS. To even refer to the router as NAS is laughable. IMO, USB is primarily useful for transient files and perhaps off-loading things from /jffs. But as a real network NAS? Most ppl are expecting too much.
What's the best/cheapest route to go for a quality NAS then?

There are numerous other forums better suited to that discussion.

I'm getting only about 12-14 MB/s x-ferring from my NAS USB 3.0 HD storage. It's plugged into the blue USB port, and I have gigabyte ethernet enabled. HD is formated to EXT4
Like others said if you want an NAS, buy a real NAS. Routers are not really an NAS and will generally not come close to reaching the read/write speeds that a traditional NAS will achieve. Plenty of options to choose from for NAS units including building your own out of spare parts to using SoC devices like Raspberry Pi 4's to expensive units from Synology and QNAP. Like others suggested, better subforums to discuss dedicated NAS units and which one may be right for your needs.

That said, did you also adjust the USB Mode setting to USB 3.0? It may (or may not) have a slight impact on your USB 3.0 transfer speed. Administration > System > USB Setting > USB Mode: USB 3.0 (select Apply to save changes)

Note: Enabling USB 3.0 for the USB Mode setting may potentially cause interference with 2.4GHz wireless.

Like others said if you want an NAS, buy a real NAS. Routers are not really an NAS and will generally not come close to reaching the read/write speeds that a traditional NAS will achieve. Plenty of options to choose from for NAS units including building your own out of spare parts to using SoC devices like Raspberry Pi 4's to expensive units from Synology and QNAP. Like others suggested, better subforums to discuss dedicated NAS units and which one may be right for your needs.

That said, did you also adjust the USB Mode setting to USB 3.0? It may (or may not) have a slight impact on your USB 3.0 transfer speed. Administration > System > USB Setting > USB Mode: USB 3.0 (select Apply to save changes)

Note: Enabling USB 3.0 for the USB Mode setting may potentially cause interference with 2.4GHz wireless.

I had that enabled already. I have access to a 12-15-year-old computer that I could convert into a NAS. Think that's worth trying?
And why would USB 3.0 cause interference with 2.4ghz wireless?

Thanks!

It causes interference because of poor design (specifically, shielding).

USB 3.0 ports, close to the antennae output, is a source of non-WiFi interference (in the 2.4GHz Band).

Look at Synology desktop NASs. Even a basic DS120j or DS220j (2 drive) would be a huge upgrade over a HD attached to a router.

I have access to a 12-15-year-old computer that I could convert into a NAS. Think that's worth trying?
Yes, this will improve your data speed considerably even with the oldest CPU around.

Putting quality drives in makes a difference as well. 12-15 years old though might need an HBA for SATA-3 speeds 6gbp/s to get the most out of the drives themselves. New drives these days can hit 200MB/s+ speeds per drive and if you put them into the right Raid configuration you can get double the speed or more.

I would skip the off the shelf QNAP / Synology options as you have the old PC and adding a couple of parts to it is going to be cheaper than buying a NAS.

Is it worth trying to use a 12 to 15-year-old computer as a NAS?

Not if your data means something to you.

Is it worth trying to use a 12 to 15-year-old computer as a NAS?

Not if your data means something to you.
WTH that has nothing to do with data as the drives would be new. If something fails it's still cheap to replace a component here and there.

And if it takes out the drives, what do you replace the data with?

If you're setting things up properly with multiple disks as you would with a NAS the data is protected the same way and a NAS could be a complete failure as well. So, what's the point of spending a few hundred on a new box if you can reuse an old PC with the same results?

I'll probably go towards a Raspberry PI 4B 4-8gb with a SATA/M2 module if I go towards the NAS route as a future LAN project!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!