What's new

NFS set up / server name problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cliver

Regular Contributor
Hi all, I'm new to Synology devices and NFS so hoping i can get some advice from the experts [emoji3].
I have an Azus RT-AC68U at the core of my home network with a usb drive connected and serving media and acting as data backup via Samba.
I have a mix of Windows 10 and Linux clients with various mobile devices (mostly android). I also have a vortexbox (Fedora) running Logitech Media Server and Plex Server.
I have recently set up a Synology DS216j on my network to hold my media and for backup purposes and give me raid resilience.
I have set up mounts to the video and music shares on the vortexbox from the DS and It works but...
Out of the box the DS comes with a server name of "diskstation". On setup I changed this to "NAS1"
I have smb set up which works. I have also set up NFS which works but i noticed when trying to mount the share on my vortexbox that i had to use the IP address and not the server name of NAS1.
I then noticed that the DMS web admin page on Linux can't see the server NAS1:5000 but it can see diskstation:5000.
Oddly on Windows NAS1:5000 works and diskstation:5000 doesn't.
I have checked the contents of /etc/hostname on the Nas and, as expected, it contains NAS1.
I am confused as to why my Linux machine can't see NAS1 on the network but my windows machines can see it. More oddly I'm confused as to why my Linux machine can still see the diskstation name at all.
I have read up as much as I can and am probably confusing myself more than educating myself now.
The one thing that may or may not be relevant is that i have not set up a domain name on my network. I never needed one before using samba and most of what i read would indicate that is optional for NFS.
Do i need to set up a domain name? I'd like to be sure i need it before i need as it's working at the moment and it'll break if i touch it [emoji23].
Or is there something what i have missed?
I currently have the server name set back to default "diskdtation" and it's working but I'd like to get to the bottom of the making issue of i can in case i want to set up another Synology DS at some point.
Anyone any ideas please?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk