What's new

nginx not working after firmware upgrade from 380.XX

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skywayskase

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AC68U today from 380.65.4 to 384.5. Everything went pretty smoothly, and almost everything works except for NGINX. When I try to start it, I get the following error:

nginx: [emerg] getpwnam("nobody") failed (2: No such file or directory) in /opt/etc/nginx/nginx.conf:2

The second line in the config is just "user nobody" (without the quotes). I've ensured that an entry for "nobody" exists in the passwd file. I also reset to factory defaults (even though I really didn't want to) but I'm still having the same issue. I also tried changing the user to the root user in my nginx.conf file, but that only changed the user called out in the error.

I tried posting the path of said passwd file, to confirm it's correct, but anytime I type out the file path I get a message that I'm blocked from posting here and have to refresh the page. It's "slash etc slash passwd"

Last edited:
I had the same issue. I had to do multiple things.

First I had to do a full fresh re-install of entware (i tried a reinstall of nginx only first).

Then I had to reinstall nginx, and all my other dependencies for other stuff as well.

Finally I copied over my configurations from my backed up entware folder.

Now... it still didnt work. This time I hit a "binding error". I found the resolution for that here:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/79

As to why this wasn't an issue for me previously, I do not know other than perhaps an older, inherited nvram setting was overrode with the upgrade.

Yep, reinstalling entware and then nginx did the trick. Thanks for the tip. I wish it didn't have to come to that, but I'm glad it's working now.

Entware migrated to a new repository a few months ago, if you didn't follow the upgrade instructions provided in the Changelog then issues can happen.

Just to level set, I followed those instructions exactly for the repo change and upgrade etc. I still ran into this.

It's an install that's been running a couple years so something like this isn't all that surprising I guess. YMMV of course, but definitely follow the instructions. Hopefully me and OP were just flukes.