What's new

NIC suggestions wanted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shenfu

New Around Here
Need to buy a wired gigabit PCIe card with at least 4K 'jumbo frames' capability on its gigabit WAN, and it must work with Linux (Debian 5.0 or Ubuntu 9.04). Its for my desktop PC. Recommendations?

Need to buy a wired gigabit PCIe card with at least 4K 'jumbo frames' capability on its gigabit WAN, and it must work with Linux (Debian 5.0 or Ubuntu 9.04). Its for my desktop PC. Recommendations?
Intel cards are widely available and have good driver support. If you see an Intel card for sale, you can check on intel.com to make sure it is a current product (not discontinued) and that it supports jumbo frames.

Broadcom cards probably have the next best level of driver support, but are a lot less common as add-on cards (the chips often are used directly on motherboards). There are a couple families of Broadcom chips, and not all of the chips in each family support jumbo frames. The Broadcom web site is a lot less oriented toward end users, and info on chip / card capabilities is harder to find than for the Intel cards.

Intel Gigabit CT card. Very cheap, very good. I am running 4 of them and have a spare laying around somewhere. Never had an issue with them.

Doesn't apply to you, but Intel EOL it in terms of support with Windows 8.1. The driver Intel/MS supplies auto installs with the card and works very well, but the Intel networking tool kit won't install properly without some monkeying, even though it WORKS with the cards, Intel doesn't officially support it anymore (you have to download the one for Windows 8 and install it, but it works great under 8.1).

That of course doesn't apply to unix based OSs, but AFAIK lots of driver support for Debian and deffinitely for Ubuntu.

Supports up to 9k jumbo.

Last edited:
Intel Gigabit CT card. Very cheap, very good. I am running 4 of them and have a spare laying around somewhere. Never had an issue with them.

Doesn't apply to you, but Intel EOL it in terms of support with Windows 8.1. The driver Intel/MS supplies auto installs with the card and works very well, but the Intel networking tool kit won't install properly without some monkeying, even though it WORKS with the cards, Intel doesn't officially support it anymore (you have to download the one for Windows 8 and install it, but it works great under 8.1).

That of course doesn't apply to unix based OSs, but AFAIK lots of driver support for Debian and deffinitely for Ubuntu.

Supports up to 9k jumbo.

Thanks for the reply. There looks to be a good selection of model numbers for the Intel gigabit CT card. Are they all the same, or is there one in particular I should aim to get? Will this card work with all brands of router, or is it picky?

Wide compatibility. If you are mostly looking at Linux support, the Intel Gigabit CT card. Its what I have in my server and desktop (2 each) and works great The only iffy thing is that Intel yanked Windows 8.1 support past the initial driver release. Its EOL as near as I can tell, though I think Intel still makes the cards...

Plenty of past and current Linux support on it and it'll run under Windows 8.1 and everything back through XP fine though.

As for routers...uhh, the card you are running generally isn't going to have any router or switch issues, so long as it is running the same protocol. IE, 1000base-tx, which all gigabit capable network interface cards do, unless you are looking at fiber.

Hi,
Cheap Ralink chip has good Linux support as well.

Hi,
Cheap Ralink chip has good Linux support as well.

Indeed. Realtek and Ralink offer just the basics so if you don't need anything else, you can't beat them on price. From personal experience, I've been using Realtek NICs for years and never had issues with them on Linux. Now I'm on a Broadcom soldered on the mobo and had to turn TSO off or else it crashes the tg3 driver when transferring at high speeds

Seriously, I hear SOOOOOO many Broadcom issues, both on the wired and wireless side of things (I have issues with a wireless adapter from Broadcom). I have yet to figure out why the hell they are so popular. Maybe price?

Seriously, I hear SOOOOOO many Broadcom issues, both on the wired and wireless side of things (I have issues with a wireless adapter from Broadcom). I have yet to figure out why the hell they are so popular. Maybe price?

The hardware from Broadcom is fine. It's the software side of things that sucks (sometimes?)

Yeah, mine seems to have incredible driver issues. Though, it could well be an issue on the hardware end of things too...but...yeah, just, wow.

Now I'm on a Broadcom soldered on the mobo and had to turn TSO off or else it crashes the tg3 driver when transferring at high speeds
Intel understands that end users buy their cards and need drivers and support. Broadcom is really, really geared to the OEM market and the drivers on their site are simply there so they don't have to handle unwanted support calls from end users.

The Broadcom chips are actually kind of interesting - they're complete microcontrollers and how they operate is controlled by firmware. In fact, the Broadcom diagnostics download into the microcontroller memory and run from there, directly checking the hardware. That means that most bugs can be fixed with new firmware and/or drivers.

Your best bet is determining which Broadcom chip or family you have, then looking on manufacturer web sites (for example, Dell) for the latest firmware and drivers for that chip / family.

Intel understands that end users buy their cards and need drivers and support. Broadcom is really, really geared to the OEM market and the drivers on their site are simply there so they don't have to handle unwanted support calls from end users.

The Broadcom chips are actually kind of interesting - they're complete microcontrollers and how they operate is controlled by firmware. In fact, the Broadcom diagnostics download into the microcontroller memory and run from there, directly checking the hardware. That means that most bugs can be fixed with new firmware and/or drivers.

Your best bet is determining which Broadcom chip or family you have, then looking on manufacturer web sites (for example, Dell) for the latest firmware and drivers for that chip / family.

Thanks for the info. The Broadcom firmware is shipped with my kernel. It is located in /lib/firmware/tigon and in there I can find 3 firmware files (tg3.bin, tg3_tso.bin and tg3_tso5.bin). I do not know if it/they get loaded as there's nothing in dmesg. I just upgraded last night to 3.12.15 kernel but I'm reluctant in turning TSO on. I will poke at the Broadcom site to see if they have newer firmware.

As for looking at manufacturer's site. I assembled my computer myself. It uses an ASRock mobo but on their site they only offer BIOS firmware. I haven't seen any firmware for the NIC

Thanks for the info. The Broadcom firmware is shipped with my kernel. It is located in /lib/firmware/tigon and in there I can find 3 firmware files (tg3.bin, tg3_tso.bin and tg3_tso5.bin). I do not know if it/they get loaded as there's nothing in dmesg. I just upgraded last night to 3.12.15 kernel but I'm reluctant in turning TSO on. I will poke at the Broadcom site to see if they have newer firmware.
That's really bizarre. I don't use Linux, but on FreeBSD (for example), the driver is really just the driver, not driver + firmware. It would be impossible to netboot a box if a driver had to be loaded first to feed firmware to the card.

As for looking at manufacturer's site. I assembled my computer myself. It uses an ASRock mobo but on their site they only offer BIOS firmware. I haven't seen any firmware for the NIC
You misunderstood me. I meant that Broadcom doesn't officially provide support to end users, only to OEMs. Find an OEM system that uses the same chip as your system, and download the driver and firmware update utility from there. For example, go here, select RHEL6 and expand the Network section, and you will find:

Broadcom NetXtreme I and II Network Device Firmware 7.8.0 View details
Network | Release date 3/26/2014 | Last Updated 3/26/2014 | Recommended

Broadcom Linux RPM packaged driver updates for NetXtreme I and NetXtreme II Ethernet adapters for the 18.2.2 update. View details
Network | Release date 3/26/2014 | Last Updated 3/26/2014 | Optional

Note that Dell firmware update packages are somewhat picky and usually won't install out-of-the-box on non-Dell systems. Unpacking the update package and looking at the shell scripts will usually show you how to override those checks (at your own risk, of course).

While you can sometimes get out-of-date firmware on OEM sites, downloading the release notes for that Dell firmware reveals:

Broadcom (R) Corporation
Broadcom Ethernet Software Kit
RELEASE T7.8c.4.3 Gold
(Wednesday, February 5, 2014)

Which is a good deal newer than what you can find on the Broadcom site,

That is the route I've taken before with Broadcom products is finding another device that uses the same hardware and grabbed a driver package for that device to install on my system.

Same thing often with Marvell and often times Atheros products.

Realtek at least seems to have a lot of their stuff on their website. I can't comment on Ralink as I've never owned a Ralink based product.

Wide compatibility. If you are mostly looking at Linux support, the Intel Gigabit CT card. Its what I have in my server and desktop (2 each) and works great The only iffy thing is that Intel yanked Windows 8.1 support past the initial driver release. Its EOL as near as I can tell, though I think Intel still makes the cards...

Plenty of past and current Linux support on it and it'll run under Windows 8.1 and everything back through XP fine though.

As for routers...uhh, the card you are running generally isn't going to have any router or switch issues, so long as it is running the same protocol. IE, 1000base-tx, which all gigabit capable network interface cards do, unless you are looking at fiber.

Thanks for the info. Your last sentence concerns me a bit, as I plan to gradually phase out XP Pro over the next couple years, for Linux...so "IE" would be replaced by a Linux browser (probably not Firefox). All the routers I'm considering are "1000base-tx", but will no IE be a future problem? If so, what can I do to mitigate?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!