What's new

Nighthawk AX6 RAX50 (AX5400) and RAX45 (AX4300)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Internet Man

Hit the FCC on 12/30: PY319400466

Some information is available on what seems to be a sandbox for Netgear's website including a data sheet which says:
  • Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) Dual Band WiFi (AX5400)
    • 2.4GHz AX: 2x2 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256-QAM 20/40MHz, up to 600Mbps
    • 5GHz AX: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024-QAM 20/40/80/160MHz, up to 4.8Gbps
    • Backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi
  • Uplink & Downlink OFDMA§—Improved capacity and efficiency
  • Powerful 1.5GHz triple-core processor
  • One (1) USB 3.0 port
  • Memory: 256MB flash and 512MB RAM
  • 160MHz channel support
  • Additional DFS channels for interference free experience
  • Longer range with 4 high-performance antennas
  • Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports
    • 1 WAN & 4 LAN
"1.5 GHz triple-core processor" and 6-stream spec suggests a Broadcom BCM6750 CPU paired with a BCM43684 radio like the RT-AX58U. FCC docs do not currently include DFS certification so

RAX45 is probably a crippled version for Costco/Walmart or some other discounter. The Test Report NII document at the FCC says, "RAX45: 2.4GHz 480 Mbps, 5GHz 3840 Mbps" which suggests that this model will be limited to 256-QAM for 5GHZ AX and probably likewise for 2.4GHz AX.

RAX50.png

RAX50_Back.png

Last edited:
It looks like a great budget AX based router that will get the masses into AX.

Couldn't hurt to give it a go!

It looks like a great budget AX based router that will get the masses into AX.

Couldn't hurt to give it a go!

Yes there are lots of sheeps outhere who buys anything, everything to take your money from you.

I actually just got my hands on a RAX45 from Costco and so far it’s been a solid router with zero issues. Faster with better range than the Asus RT-AX58U but less customization with the GUI. I‘m actually quite impressed after the disaster of the RAX80.

Debated with an RT-AX82U and a RAX50 in hand at my local Best Buy on Saturday, RAX50 on sale for $50 less sealed it. I know there is not much love for Netgear here but I now having 3 active Netgears (plus a 4th I bought for my son for his place) and they all work just as well as an active RT-AC86U I also have in full service.

I had a Netgear RAX80 awhile back that was an absolute nightmare of a router, don’t know if it still is, got rid of it. I haven’t even thought about Netgear until my neighbor saw the RAX45 at Costco and asked if I would get it for him. Had it for three days (he thinks I’m going on Friday) and it’s been a solid, fast router with no issues. Did two firmware updates so far and not a problem with either one. I may have to buy him a new one, lol.

NOTE: Amazon has the RAX50 on sale right now for $239.00

I spoke too soon, I repackaged the RAX50 and returning back to Best Buy tomorrow. First time ever I've gotten a bum Netgear.

Seemed to work fine as a wired AP for a few days and then becomes unstable. At least three times already, I would be in the middle of a youtube video, get the spinning circle and status shows connected but no internet (ax200 laptop). I could flip to another AP on the same service, everything works fine. Other devices (AC tablet and another AX200 laptop) still have working service through it. I tried just about everything to rule out the laptop and nothing made a difference. Only a router reboot got the laptop seeing the internet again. And similar experiences across 2 different firmwares, and factory resets.

I may swap it with an RT-AX82 which BB has in stock and on sale, or just go back to my old router for now.

I‘ve has a RAX50 for a couple of weeks and so far it’s been great. Haven’t even looked at it or had to change anything. Completely different experience from the RAX80 and my Asus ZenWifi XT8.

I‘ve has a RAX50 for a couple of weeks and so far it’s been great. Haven’t even looked at it or had to change anything. Completely different experience from the RAX80 and my Asus ZenWifi XT8.

Lucky! Are you on the latest firmware? Maybe there's a bad batch that got built recently. There seems to be a few other frustrated brand new owners with similar problems starting to add up on the Netgear support forums.

I just went back to perfect stability again with my old AC Tplink.