What's new

Nighthawk x4s local speeds to nas over wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petro

New Around Here
hi guys,
so i recently purchased the Nighthawk x4s as it was recommended on this forum. I was slightly concerned with the transfer speeds over wireless to my synology nas on my network. At the moment i'm getting about 20MB/s (according to the windows using a usb dongle connected at 433mbs), should I be getting higher speeds ? what are your speeds like in comparison?

I get 60 MB/s Down and 45-50 MB/s up, with my NAS at ~15 ft away, one floor below the router. My laptop has an Intel 7260ac 2x2 card. Transfer speed depends on the type of WiFi card, how the antennas are placed in your laptop and what obstacles are there, i.e. a drywall vs cement wall and of course distance.

You have a 1x1 433 Mbps card, that's the link rate / max theoretical speed, in real world tests at close range don't expect to get more than 60-70% (30-36 MB/s) of that at best and that too at very close range. What adapter does your laptop have, or did you buy one of those tiny adapters that are barely bigger than the USB port? If it's one of those tiny ones then you won't get much speed wise as the antenna is too small. Either way the issue is your card.

Last edited:
yea it's a one of those small usb dongles. Do you believe that's the issue? are there better adapters to buy or am i restricted to the usb2 port? I'm only less than 10 ft from the router too.
Cheers

I usually just replace the built in adapter of the laptop rather than buying a USB adapter, so I can't really comment on usb adapters. I had a Intel 3x3 Intel 6300 N before upgrading my laptop to a Intel 7260ac. It costs like $20 and is better than almost all USB adapters but you would have to open your laptop and replace the original card, its simple but not everyone likes doing that.

if you dont have a usb 3.0 port then as suggested above get a intel latest wifi card which is a bang for bugs. It will get you connected 2x2 at 866mbps. Which is good enough for 50+ MB/s

if you dont know or cant replace the internal wifi card. Then go for the USB 3.0 adaptor if you have one as with usb 2.0 port or adaptor the max would be 28MB/s which is half of the rated speed due to port restriction.

So get one thats suits you. But this router is capable of upto 80+MB/s if you are connected at 1300Mbps or even 1733Mbps which is rare as 4x4 adaptors cost 2/3 of the router

I'm using a D-Link DWA-192 wireless-1900AC USB-3.0 adapter...works well, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg *smile*. Might even be able to get one that's been refurbed by D-Link, I don't know. Goes as fast as I need to go here.

So with 3x3 1300Mbps what is the speed you are getting from local transfer . Does it reach above 800+mbps

So with 3x3 1300Mbps what is the speed you are getting from local transfer . Does it reach above 800+mbps

I'm currently using a 2x2 router, Netgear Orbi. Don't have a NAS, so I can't test the USB network adapter at full speed. Works fine with my 240Mbps ISP download provisioning, but that's not pushing even the 867 (2x2) connect speed. Although I'm getting more than the 20MB/sec the original poster is getting, though *smile*.

i dont understand this.

• 4x4 11ac 80MHz + 2x2-160/80+80MHz*'

i know the 160 mhz is combination of two 80Mhz. But it says 160/80+80 any sense

867 2x2 wont get full speed. Every adaptor even the router with similar will switch down to 526mbos which is decent enough considering the overhead loss.

So with 1300mbps one can expect upto 800mbps .

Only with 1733 mbps the similar adaptor with 4x4 antnenna can connect and transfer upto 930mbps

So only way to test this is

x8 or x10 with 4x4 client connected to NAS with dual lan aggregated NAS which can push 200Mbps or 2gig

so in reality even if it reach max 1.2gig is best say 140MB/s a great deal

I ended up buying the Intel 7260ac 2x2 card, made the transfer speeds super quick. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!