What's new

Nightmare with routers what do i do now ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Platforminc

Occasional Visitor
Hi All.

I have got EE fibre broadband (EE smart hub) at home and for the last 4 months I have had a nightmare with getting stable internet access at home. As we all work from home these days it has become even more frustrating. I have summarised my issue below.

Setup/ Location of router

• The house is a chalet and as such the stairs is surrounded by stud walls, the router/cabling are all under the stairs and this is where the EE router is.
  • The ISP router connects to a 24 port switch, and all the LAN network points in the house connects to the switch.
  • Under the stairs, I also have my heating hub which makes my thermostats wireless. I mention this becuase of potential wireless interference.
  • I have got another wireless router in my outbulding/office and this serves as an access point for the outbuilding so that I can use wireless connections there.

What is the issue

• LAN connection is fine as I have LAN wiring in every corner of the house
  • There are cables going under the ground to the router from my outbuilding which is where i mainly work. WE randomly loose internet connections whilst in the house, if i connect to the WIFI from my phone, it says connected but no internet. I have to disconnect/reconnect a number of times before I can get it to work.
  • When using my laptop, connecting to the wireless is not a seamless affair, it literally doesn't work consistently, connected but not internet. Try going on a website, I get dns errors. When using wired connection, this works without any issues.
  • I have got an IPTV streaming device in my outbuilding, anytime I turn it on. It disconnects my internet for a few seconds and then comes back again.

What have I done ?

• The above issues used to happen with the ISP router.
  • I have an ASUS RT-AC86U router lying around, so I thought that had a modem to my surprise it didnt. So I currently use it as an access point, connected it to the ISP router via LAN, disabled the ISP router wireless functionality and simply used that of the ASUS. I found it stable for about 2 weeks and after that we cannot connect to the wireless consistently, it connects but says no internet. I do know that the internet works because the laptop on the LAN cable works, the amazon echo show device is also online which is really confusing.
  • I was going to ring up the ISP to complain or change ISP's but I wanted to make sure that the issue is not from my side.

What else do I have ?

I have got the BT home hub 5 lying about, but i dont know if this is going to improve things.

AC86U challenge with wi-fi is know issue and a lot people have it after operation 1-4weeks OK you need to reboot router.
Did you set ISP modem-router in bridge mode?
If internet working over LAN is not ISP issue. If you internet cable in home you can consider wi-fi AP like for example https://www.ui.com/wi-fi/

I have got EE fibre broadband (EE smart hub)

Read this, see if it helps: