What's new

No activity on 3rd CPU core on AX58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Super Dave

Occasional Visitor
Just curious, is the 3rd core on Asus AX58U reserved for a specific function? Been monitoring to make sure it's not getting too hot, yet I've noticed that I have not seen any activity displayed on the GUI from the 3rd core.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Have you tried RMerlin's Alpha 1 firmware on it to see if it exhibits the same behavior?

I have an RT-AX58U in wired AiMesh node but don't monitor it at all. :)

Have you tried RMerlin's Alpha 1 firmware on it to see if it exhibits the same behavior?

I have an RT-AX58U in wired AiMesh node but don't monitor it at all. :)
I have not tried Alfa 1 firmware version though I have seen the same behavior from both from the OEM version from Asus 8601 and Merlin Asuswrt 384.17. Not saying that's problem or a bug, just curious why the behavior?

Just curious, is the 3rd core on Asus AX58U reserved for a specific function? Been monitoring to make sure it's not getting too hot, yet I've noticed that I have not seen any activity displayed on the GUI from the 3rd core.

I've mentioned this twice in other posts and not had any feed back, so I've been sitting back and watching if others have picked up on this.

When I first unboxed it and hooked it up dry (no internet / isolated) the stock firmware showed a tiny glitch of life but since the switch to merlin no life. Was wondering if it was a defect, reserved, not yet unleashed, hidden area, waiting for ASUS to "fix"???

Last edited:
I've mentioned this twice in other posts and not had any feed back, so I've been sitting back and watching if others have picked up on this.

When I first unboxed it and hooked it up dry (no internet / isolated) the stock firmware showed a tiny glitch of life but since the switch to merlin no life. Was wondering if it was a defect, reserved, not yet unleashed, hidden area, waiting for ASUS to "fix"???
I'm not pushing my ax58u by any means and so far have not noticed any performance issues as of yet. Which leads me to believe that the core maybe reserved to do a specific function such as when attaching a NAS or VPN from the router though I'm just guessing here.

I'm not pushing my ax58u by any means and so far have not noticed any performance issues as of yet. Which leads me to believe that the core maybe reserved to do a specific function such as when attaching a NAS or VPN from the router though I'm just guessing here.

I'm not pushing mine hard either. I would expect some sort of load balancing, I don't know enough about it.

@Super Dave

EDIT: Even on a reboot only cores 1 and 2 have any activity, doing the graph dance until it settles. I would expect some movement at this point.

Last edited:
It will use it if it has any reason to. Most processes are single-threaded, so they will only load a single core. The Linux task scheduler will use them as needed, here is a screenshot showing two processes currently running on that third core.

upload_2020-5-20_16-37-28.png

It will use it if it has any reason to. Most processes are single-threaded, so they will only load a single core. The Linux task scheduler will use them as needed, here is a screenshot showing two processes currently running on that third core.

View attachment 23614
Good to know it's functioning correctly just not needed at the moment... Thanks for explanation.

Core 3 is definitely involved in samba. Transfering files results in core 1 and 3 both using around 30% and core 2 doing most of the work on mine.

Run a speed test and you will see core three come to life with some activity. Just tried this and it indeed showed active.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!