What's new

no hostnames on traffic analyzer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andresmorago

Hello

Sorry if this is a repost of the same topic somewhere else.
Im having issues when looking for devices at the traffic analizer/traffic monitor page. I can see all of the IP's but not the hostnames, making it very difficult to understand which device is downloading/uploading.
This issue started to happen not a while ago and i havent been able to fix it.
Can you please advise?

I have a RT-AC68U running 384.5. EDIT: now on 384.6
Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) is ON

thanks
andres

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    140.1 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Hello

Sorry if this is a repost of the same topic somewhere else.
Im having issues when looking for devices at the traffic analizer page. I can see all of the IP's but not the hostnames, making it very difficult to understand which device is downloading/uploading.
This issue started to happen not a while ago and i havent been able to fix it.
Can you please advise?

I have a RT-AC68U running 384.5
Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) is ON

thanks
andres
Try using netstat options in network tools tab. This is the go to tool now...:D

Try using netstat options in network tools tab. This is the go to tool now...:D
hi skeal
thanls for your reply. i just saw that tool but cannot understand how can this fix my issue on the network analizer tool. i would like to see hostnnames again there.

regards

hi skeal
thanls for your reply. i just saw that tool but cannot understand how can this fix my issue on the network analizer tool. i would like to see hostnnames again there.

regards
That is all closed source. Not in @RMerlin control.

so if i understand you correctly, with newer versions, we wont be able to see hostnames on the traffic analizer tool?

so if i understand you correctly, with newer versions, we wont be able to see hostnames on the traffic analizer tool?
Until Asus recognizes it as a problem and then notify Trend Micro to get it ironed out is like expecting the ice age soon.

Try using the standard subnet address and netmask of 192.168.1.0/24. If it's pulling the names from the network map (which is closed source, so Merlin can't do anything about that) then it's known that netmasks larger than /24 don't work properly.

He's not referring to the Traffic Analyzer. He's talking about the per IP Traffic Monitor which is nothing to do with Trend Micro.
Gotcha....whoops! :oops:

Try using the standard subnet address and netmask of 192.168.1.0/24. If it's pulling the names from the network map (which is closed source, so Merlin can't do anything about that) then it's known that netmasks larger than /24 don't work properly.

Thanks. I just checked and have a /24 subnet on my 10.0.0.0 network. Does changing it to 192.168.1.0 network will fix this? I’ve always had a 10.0.0.0 network and this used to work well before.
The only place I’m not seeing hostnames is the traffic monitor. Please see attached screenshots. Network map and micro trend traffic statistics DO show hostnames.
IPTraffic is enabled.

Attachments

• 61FE8108-E51F-4CB0-A324-5E593B807DDC.png
    61FE8108-E51F-4CB0-A324-5E593B807DDC.png
    192 KB · Views: 492
  • 0D6A3509-5D45-42E7-9F34-2EB08DBFF488.png
    0D6A3509-5D45-42E7-9F34-2EB08DBFF488.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 12D16BA2-F0FC-4F4A-9E6D-EFF533A6EB58.jpeg
    12D16BA2-F0FC-4F4A-9E6D-EFF533A6EB58.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 239
  • D8EEB556-981E-4B85-9C8D-AB2011EFCF2F.jpeg
    D8EEB556-981E-4B85-9C8D-AB2011EFCF2F.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Networkmap service is also closed source.

Are the IP addresses of your clients manually assigned? What DNS server are the clients using, the router's or something else?

Are the IP addresses of your clients manually assigned? What DNS server are the clients using, the router's or something else?

Hi
All clients ip are automatically assigned and use my router as dns.
Router has opendns configured on dnsmasq.conf.add

The router keeps two sets of names, a "descriptive" name and the host name. I think the names you're seeing in the network map is the descriptive name. Host names are unique on the local network but you're seeing multiple entries like "Sonos Inc", which implies that is not a host name. The Traffic Monitor only displays host names.

If you go to for example, LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP... , underneath the MAC address column there is a drop-down list. If you click on it it gives you a list of all the devices it knows about. It also show the associated host name if it's know. Do you see your host names there?

Also, can you explain what change you have put into dnsmasq.conf.add.

hi
please find attached some additional screenshots in which you can see that hostnames are correctly showing everywhere except the
Traffic Manager - Traffic Monitor per device

my dnsmasq.conf.add defines the dns servers and routers specific websites to a external dns server. it doesnt do much

Code:
strict-order
server=208.67.220.220
server=208.67.222.222

server=/ipinfo.io/34.225.xxx.xxx
server=/ifconfig.io/34.225.xxx.xxx
server=/pandora.com/34.225.xxx.xxx

#SAMSUNG
server=/samsung.com/34.225.xxx.xxx
server=/msecnd.net/0.0.0.0
server=/samsungotn.net/0.0.0.0
server=/otn.samsungcloudcdn.com/0.0.0.0
server=/samsungcloudsolution.net/0.0.0.0

thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 511
  • Untitledq.jpg
    Untitledq.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 274
Sorry, no idea. Probably some incompatibility with the networkmap.

Something that looks odd is your DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP List. None of the entries have host names defined. Maybe that's messing things up.

Last edited:
thanks.
actually, i recently deleted the hostnames on the manuall assigned dhcp list. no changes whastsoever