What's new

No HW acceleration on RT-AC66U after Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ml70

Regular Contributor
Upgraded from 9 month old Merlin fw so did a
> mtd-erase -d nvram
> clear nvram
> reboot

After totally reconfiguring the router, Tools>Sysinfo says
Model RT-AC66U
Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.43
Firmware Build Fri Jun 6 20:31:04 UTC 2014 merlin@152071b

HW acceleration Disabled - incompatible with:

Yes there is nothing after the colon!

Turned Lan>Switch Control>NAT acceleration off, then on again
(is this the same as "Hardware acceleration on earlier builds?) but nothing changed, hw accel still off.

Checked manually Traffic Manager, QoS is off. Cheked Tools>Other settings, IP traffic monitoring is off. Parental controls are off. Can't think of anything else...and this is a fresh new install?

Is there a WL or NVRAM SET command i could try?

Edit: cycled QoS and Traffic mgr on/off as i had them installed previously, then cycled NAT acceleration off/on, no change.

Last edited:
Try removing all devices except for the WAN and single LAN Ethernet cable (from the computer controlling the router) and do a power cycle (pull the plug, wait a minute, power up the router and wait at least two minutes after it has fully booted).

Now, do a reset to defaults and a power cycle again.

After setting up just the basic WAN connection settings needed (manually), flash the 374.43 firmware again. You may want to use another computer/ISP to download the file from and also check the CRC checksum to ensure the downloaded file is not corrupted.

With the router's firmware updated again, do a final power cycle.

Wait a minute after it comes up and manually configure only the needed settings to have internet and wireless access.

Do you have an IPv6 tunnel enabled? Asus recently forced HW acceleration to be disabled when using an 6IN4 tunnel on the N66/AC66.

BTW, that's why I originally refused to implement notification as to the reason why HW acceleration was disabled - whenever Asus changes those criteria, it means the Tools page must also be updated - and I don't always know when such things occur. This leads to issues such as this...

Do you have an IPv6 tunnel enabled? Asus recently forced HW acceleration to be disabled when using an 6IN4 tunnel on the N66/AC66.

Well this is it, my 6in4 tunnel. But it used to work before with the tunnel, right? Why would they disable it? Makes one think there's been a security implication.

Which is the latest fw with hw acceleration with tunnel still enabled?
Is it possible to enable it oneself with WL or NVRAM SET commands?
I'd like to experiment, if possible.

Well this is it, my 6in4 tunnel. But it used to work before with the tunnel, right? Why would they disable it? Makes one think there's been a security implication.

it was changed a few release ago, probably because there were stability issues (I remember a few users mentionningg random router reboots when using a 6in4 tunnel).

Which is the latest fw with hw acceleration with tunnel still enabled?
Is it possible to enable it oneself with WL or NVRAM SET commands?
I'd like to experiment, if possible.

Can't be done - the firmware forces it to be disabled at boot time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!