What's new

No internet access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KSoze

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I just bought a brand new Asus AC66U and I'm trying to set it up to work with my cable modem-router but no luck. When my cable modem-router (don't know a better term to call it) is in router mode, when connected to the AC66U everything works, but the Asus router gets a local IP address (though it has internet access). When switching the cable modem-router to cable modem only mode, I can connect it to a laptop via LAN and it gets a public IP address and internet works, but when connecting it to the WAN port on the AC66U it doesn't connect (preset is Automatic IP, as the other ones don't apply). System log shows the message "ISP's DHCP did not function properly". So... my laptop can connect but not my AC66U.

Just updated the firmware, but no luck.

I know I can probably turn on DMZ and switch off almost all router features of my cable modem and then connect it to the AC66U but doesn't seem to be the ideal solution.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

When moving a cablemodem to a new router, you have to turn the cablemodem off for about 5-10 mins first to let the current lease expire, otherwise your ISP won't allocate a new IP to the new MAC address it sees (the router's).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!