What's new

No Internet after installing Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helloguys

Occasional Visitor
Asus RT-AC86U
Current stock firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c
Merlin firmware: RT-AC86U_384.19_0_cferom_ubi.w

Symptom:
After installing Merlin firmware, there is no Internet connection from PC.

Troubleshooting done:
1) The PC is able to get a private IP address from router via DHCP.
2) The PC is able to ping the router. But not able to ping any public IP, like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.
3) The router is able to ping public IP by using the "Network Tools" web interface.
4) I double checked the configuration. They seems to be the same as with stock firmware (such as NAT, etc.)
5) I rebooted the router. It came back up with Merlin firmware. I can log into the web interface. But still, PC does not have Internet.
6) I reverted back to stock firmware. PC has Internet again.
7) Firewall on the router is turned off. I don't have customized routes. PC is connected to router with Ethernet cable.

I know it must be me, as Merlin has been proven to work. But how shall I troubleshoot? I really like to be on Merlin. Thank you!

Asus RT-AC86U
Current stock firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c
Merlin firmware: RT-AC86U_384.19_0_cferom_ubi.w

Symptom:
After installing Merlin firmware, there is no Internet connection from PC.

Troubleshooting done:
1) The PC is able to get a private IP address from router via DHCP.
2) The PC is able to ping the router. But not able to ping any public IP, like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.
3) The router is able to ping public IP by using the "Network Tools" web interface.
4) I double checked the configuration. They seems to be the same as with stock firmware (such as NAT, etc.)
5) I rebooted the router. It came back up with Merlin firmware. I can log into the web interface. But still, PC does not have Internet.
6) I reverted back to stock firmware. PC has Internet again.
7) Firewall on the router is turned off. I don't have customized routes. PC is connected to router with Ethernet cable.

I know it must be me, as Merlin has been proven to work. But how shall I troubleshoot? I really like to be on Merlin. Thank you!
I have turned ON firewall and reboot and take it from there.
And if you change SW betwean 384 and 386 do a full reset and configure by hand.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!