What's new

No internet after reboot and time showes May 5th 2018.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ramz

Regular Contributor
Hello I did a reboot on my Ac 86u with the latest Merlin and now I have no wifi or lan or internet what so ever . Also my time says May 5th! 2018. Can someone help. My wife works from home and needs the wifi..

I've had this issue. What worked for me was changing back to the default ntp server of pool.ntp.org

Go here: http://router.asus.com/Advanced_System_Content.asp - Double check it is set to that.
1639484551828.png

Also make sure you have valid upstream resolvers in WAN DNS Server 1 and 2.

Hello I did a reboot on my Ac 86u with the latest Merlin and now I have no wifi or lan or internet what so ever . Also my time says May 5th! 2018. Can someone help. My wife works from home and needs the wifi..

The time will remain at some default time until you have an Internet connection for it to update the time.

Are you experienced at configuring a router? If so, then you would look for a new problem with your Internet connection. Otherwise, you would review your router setup.

OE

The time will remain at some default time until you have an Internet connection for it to update the time.

Are you experienced at configuring a router? If so, then you would look for a new problem with your Internet connection. Otherwise, you would review your router setup.

OE
question if my IP provider is down would that have a impact on time also? Not saying it's down ATM until I call them. But so far no one in my area have reported the internet being down.

question if my IP provider is down would that have a impact on time also? Not saying it's down ATM until I call them. But so far no one in my area have reported the internet being down.

The router gets its time from the Internet. If your Internet connection is not working (for whatever reason), then the router time can not be updated from the default time that installs with the firmware.

Is this a new router install? Was it working before or are you still trying to install it? Why are you using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?

What type of Internet service do you have? Does it have any status lights?

OE

The router gets its time from the Internet. If your Internet connection is not working (for whatever reason), then the router time can not be updated from the default time that installs with the firmware.

Is this a new router install? Was it working before or are you still trying to install it? Why are you using Asuswrt-Merlin firmware?

What type of Internet service do you have? Does it have any status lights?

OE
Yes internet was working the router is an old ACu86 made 2018 and I have 1 gig internet speed. Also bridged from modem. Like I said once I rebooted the router that's when the issues arose.

Yes internet was working the router is an old ACu86 made 2018 and I have 1 gig internet speed. Also bridged from modem. Like I said once I rebooted the router that's when the issues arose.

Given it was working and is now not working, I would investigate your Internet service... is it down now for some reason... call them; your WAN cabling... something outside or a pet chewed it inside; and the health of the 2018 AC86U... what is the webUI status of its Ethernet ports... all healthy at 1 Gbps? Did you reboot the router to solve the Internet down condition?... if so, then the WAN down condition likely occurred on its own and has nothing to do with rebooting the router.

Is the ISP equipment healthy? Reboot it; then reboot your router.

When the AC86U begins to fail, weird things can happen, like some URLs will not resolve first time while browsing. Eventually, the router dies completely. Swap in a spare/old router to get back online, if the WAN service is ok.

OE

Last edited:
Given it was working and is now not working, I would investigate your Internet service... is it down now for some reason... call them; your WAN cabling... something outside or a pet chewed it inside; and the health of the 2018 AC86U... what is the webUI status of its Ethernet ports... all healthy at 1 Gbps? Did you reboot the router to solve the Internet down condition?... if so, then the WAN down condition likely occurred on its own and has nothing to do with rebooting the router.

Is the ISP equipment healthy? Reboot it; then reboot your router.

OE
Yes they show 1 Gbps in the webui. I have rebooted both.

Yes they show 1 Gbps in the webui. I have rebooted both.

So, the WAN cabling looks ok. How about the webUI Internet Status?

OE

Ok there also

So, you "have no wifi or lan or internet what so ever" after doing nothing new to your network, the Internet time server is not accessible, and yet the router reports a healthy Internet/WAN and LAN status(?).

If you can't narrow this down some, consider removing the AC86U and un-bridging the ISP gateway to get back to work.

OE

So, you "have no wifi or lan or internet what so ever" after doing nothing new to your network, the Internet time server is not accessible, and yet the router reports a healthy Internet/WAN and LAN status(?).

If you can't narrow this down some, consider removing the AC86U and un-bridging the ISP gateway to get back to work.

OE
Thanks for all your help I called Rogers and they did a test from there end and they found that the Modem went back to factory mode she reset it to bridge mode and now all working. She did say that two of my antennas in their modem was not working indicating that it is now defective and have to replace it and it may happen again and switch back to factory,

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help I called Rogers and they did a test from there in and they found that the Modem went back to factory mode she reset it to bridge mode and now all working. She did say that two of my antennas in their modem was not working indicating that it is now defective and have to replace it and it may happen again and switch back to factory,

Cool! Well done!

Another reason to avoid bridge mode vs removing the ISP box... it leaves a link in the chain.

OE

Cool! Well done!

Another reason to avoid bridge mode vs removing the ISP box... it leaves a link in the chain.

OE
But I have always been in bridge mode since day 1 and no issues till today. You don't recommend merlin just use Asus firmware?

But I have always been in bridge mode since day 1 and no issues till today. You don't recommend merlin just use Asus firmware?

My point was simply that the more links in the chain, the more chances for one of them to break. If you remove the ISP box, there is one less link to break. However, I understand that it may not be possible to remove the ISP box; so, you live with it and expect to maintain/troubleshoot that link (more network admin overhead).

If stock Asuswrt firmware gets the job done, I see no reason to add the Asuswrt-Merlin link which is built on top of Asuswrt (more network admin overhead). (I appreciate that Asuswrt is better today because of Asuswrt-Merlin.)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!