What's new

No internet on NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RHCPNG

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I'm having a very strange problem and can't get it resolved. I have a RT-AC88U router and have been fiddling around with setting up a VPN client. I wanted my NAS traffic to go through the VPN tunnel, but I couldn't get it to work.

Now I have deactivated the VPN client, but there is no way getting internet to work on my NAS again. I have put all configuration back to how it was, but it will not work. I have restarted the NAS and router and set all configurations back to the way they were, but no luck.

I'm staring to think the router is keeping some routing information in cache or something.

I can ping the router from my NAS, but I can't ping any outside websites. When I do a traceroute I get the following:

traceroute to www.google.com (216.58.211.100), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 RT-AC88U-0D58.home (192.168.1.1) 0.272 ms !X 0.581 ms !X 0.571 ms !X

I also tried changing DNS servers with no luck.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve this issue?

UPDATE

This is my output of "host www.google.com":

www.google.com has address 216.58.212.164
www.google.com has IPv6 address 2a00:1450:400e:801::2004

So this let's me to believe DNS is not a problem.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm having a very strange problem and can't get it resolved. I have a RT-AC88U router and have been fiddling around with setting up a VPN client. I wanted my NAS traffic to go through the VPN tunnel, but I couldn't get it to work.

Now I have deactivated the VPN client, but there is no way getting internet to work on my NAS again. I have put all configuration back to how it was, but it will not work. I have restarted the NAS and router and set all configurations back to the way they were, but no luck.

I'm staring to think the router is keeping some routing information in cache or something.

I can ping the router from my NAS, but I can't ping any outside websites. When I do a traceroute I get the following:

traceroute to www.google.com (216.58.211.100), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 RT-AC88U-0D58.home (192.168.1.1) 0.272 ms !X 0.581 ms !X 0.571 ms !X

I also tried changing DNS servers with no luck.

Does anybody have an idea how to resolve this issue?

UPDATE

This is my output of "host www.google.com":

www.google.com has address 216.58.212.164
www.google.com has IPv6 address 2a00:1450:400e:801::2004

So this let's me to believe DNS is not a problem.
On the VPN client, disable "block WAN access if tunnel goes down", then save. I've found even with the VPN client disabled, the WAN blocking still takes effect. @RMerlin tagging you in case you have some insight on this

On the VPN client, disable "block WAN access if tunnel goes down", then save. I've found even with the VPN client disabled, the WAN blocking still takes effect. @RMerlin tagging you in case you have some insight on this

Wow, that was fast. This resolved it for me. Had me busy for days!

I will raise an issue for Merlin, if it isn't done already.

Thanks a lot! Don't know if I figured this one out.

Wow, that was fast. This resolved it for me. Had me busy for days!

I will raise an issue for Merlin, if it isn't done already.

Thanks a lot! Don't know if I figured this one out.
It's caused me many a headache when fiddling with alternative client configurations. I really should have posted on forums about it sooner!

I've found even with the VPN client disabled

The problem is, there's no such thing as a "disabled" client. It's either started or not - there's no nvram setting to enable/disable it. Therefore, the firmware has no way of knowing if a client is stopped because it was never started, or because it was manually stopped, or because it got disconnected - all it knows if whether the client is currently running, or not.

The problem is, there's no such thing as a "disabled" client. It's either started or not - there's no nvram setting to enable/disable it. Therefore, the firmware has no way of knowing if a client is stopped because it was never started, or because it was manually stopped, or because it got disconnected - all it knows if whether the client is currently running, or not.
Sorry hadn't realised I'd left this open. I've since noticed, as you say, that when the tunnel is down, it appears the same to the firmware so keeping the block active is the most sensible.

Short of creating an additional UI setting for a user-disabled state and corresponding nvram variable, which is likely a large amount of work not to mention adding undue complexity when the answer is to make sure we disable wan blocks when turning off a client, or restoring rhe default settings to the client.

Just as an FYI, I added an 'enabled' state to my fork based on the user manipulating the On/Off switch....
vpnblock.PNG

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!