What's new

No Internet using VPN Kill Switch over Media Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JJQuin

Regular Contributor
Hello, was hoping someone could help me with this. I recently upgraded from a Netgear R7000 (Merlin Vortex 380.69) to an ASUS RT-AC864 (Merlin 382.2_beta2). I wanted to get some use out of my R7000 and I've had issues with the wireless USB adapter on my PC so I setup the R7000 as a Media Bridge and connected my PC to it. I ran an into a a strange problem. I had no internet access when my PC was using the VPN on the AC86U. I did further testing and discovered its caused by the VPN Kill Switch on the AC86U. Here's my config and testing.

ASUS RT-AC86U on ip address 1
NordVPN setup with Kill Switch
Selective routing everything but addresses 0-15 to go through VPN (set this up so I could change my PC ip address and use Windows VPN or no VPN for testing)

Netgear R7000 on ip address 254
Setup as media bridge using the 5Ghz Wifi

Tried PC on IP address 70 (VPN) with R7000 media bridge - fail

Tried adding selective routing rule on AC86U so R7000 does not use VPN (ip 254 through WAN) - fail

Tried PC on IP address 10 (WAN) with R7000 media bridge - success

Tried PC on both IP addessess with R7000 setup as Wireless AP and connected through Powerline adapters - success (too bad Powerline TP-Link AV2-2000s only get 75mbps only 3/4 of my max internet speed!)

Tried PC on IP address 70 (VPN) with R7000 media bridge, with AC86U VPN Kill Switch turned off - success

As you can see the only times I could get the internet connection working with the R7000 set as a media bridge was when I was not using the VPN or when the VPN Kill Switch was turned off. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really would like to use the R7000 as a bridge and have the Kill Switch up.

Thanks!

RT-AC86U - Merlin 382.2_beta2

I've come up with a solution, though it's not perfect. I put the Netgear R7000 back to the original firmware, updated it to the latest, and set it for bridge mode. No issues with my internet connection over the bridge with the KillSwitch on. Just sad I won't be able to install transmission on the R7000. Oh well, I have a Raspberry PI 2 laying around I can use :)