What's new

No LAN access with Wireguard

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sladans

Occasional Visitor
I have enabled a WireGuard VPN server on my AX88U running 388.1. The local network I am trying to access is 192.168.2.x and I port forward through another ASUS router to the AX88U on port 1197, protocol = both). I have set up WireGuard clients on my iPhone and Windows laptop. I can easily connect using WireGuard to the AX88U from my iPhone and Windows, but I am unable to access any devices on the network. My Windows computer shows a new network connection with no connectivity. I normally use OpenVPN and everything works great as soon as I connect my iPhone or Windows computer to the AX88U.

This is my Wireguard configuration:

[Interface]
PrivateKey =
Address = 10.6.0.2/32
DNS = 10.6.0.1

[Peer]
PublicKey =
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = DDNS-Address:1197
PersistentKeepalive = 25

I have experimented with a number of settings for the Endpoint and none seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions as to what configuration changes I need to make on the ASUS router or Windows/iPhone in order properly access my local network?

I have enabled a WireGuard VPN server on my AX88U running 388.1. The local network I am trying to access is 192.168.2.x and I port forward through another ASUS router to the AX88U on port 1197, protocol = both). I have set up WireGuard clients on my iPhone and Windows laptop. I can easily connect using WireGuard to the AX88U from my iPhone and Windows, but I am unable to access any devices on the network. My Windows computer shows a new network connection with no connectivity. I normally use OpenVPN and everything works great as soon as I connect my iPhone or Windows computer to the AX88U.

This is my Wireguard configuration:

[Interface]
PrivateKey =
Address = 10.6.0.2/32
DNS = 10.6.0.1

[Peer]
PublicKey =
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
Endpoint = DDNS-Address:1197
PersistentKeepalive = 25

I have experimented with a number of settings for the Endpoint and none seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions as to what configuration changes I need to make on the ASUS router or Windows/iPhone in order properly access my local network?
I am assuming the wireguard config you have posted is the client side?

If you want to access your network, you need to specify your network in the allowed IPs of the client. For instance, you should specify 192.168.2.0/24,<IP address of your wireguard server>

Also, you are specifying a DNS of 10.6.0.1. Is this your wg server address or your Router address?

I did not solve the original issue. This is helpful information. Thank you.

To answer your question, the "Tunnel IP v4 and / or IPv6 Address" from my Asus router wireguard config is 10.6..0.1/32 and the values I specified above are the default values I see when I export from the router.

I can easily connect using WireGuard to the AX88U from my iPhone and Windows, but I am unable to access any devices on the network.
What type of devices are you trying to connect to? Most likely the devices are blocking access in their own firewall since you are trying to connect to them from a different network, the wireguard network.

I am generally trying to connect to a desktop computer via RDP, but I also might connect to a NAS, printer, etc. This all works perfectly with OpenVPN, but does not seem to work with Wireguard.

I am generally trying to connect to a desktop computer via RDP, but I also might connect to a NAS, printer, etc. This all works perfectly with OpenVPN, but does not seem to work with Wireguard.
Check the firewalls on your devices or expand your lan range and put the wireguard network within this range.

OpenVPN and Wireguard works differently, some OpenVPN setups puts you in the same network, wireguard will not.

Check the firewalls on your devices or expand your lan range and put the wireguard network within this range.

Can you be more specific with the settings for Windows firewall on the computer I want to RDP into? I am also unclear as to how I would expand my LAN range on my ASUS router. Can you please elaborate?