What's new

No longer able to log on to AX-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KrankyKoot

Occasional Visitor
I recently moved and had new AT&T installed with BGW-320-500 router / modem. Added my AX-86U and initially resulted in an addr of 192.168.50.1 like it should. Was able to log on, etc. Last week 192.168.50 disappeared and the AT&T router has it identified as 192.168.1.87 or something. Now I can't log onto the AX-86U. Both routers are active and have their own net ID. WiFi and Ethernet connected devices still show that they are connected to the router name for which they were configured. Basically most household IoT devices and gaming devices are connected the the AX-86U. BGW-320 handles switched ethernet. I should state that I am not a net expert. Just have enough knowledge to cause these kinds of problems. I did note that a recent firmware update could be causing issues. I do believe I have the Asus configured to auto update.

Make sure you are connected to the AX86U when you try to manage it.

I have tried a wired / ethernet directly from my computer to router port but still not able to log on. The IP assigned by AT&T will not work nor will Asus login. It seems that Asus requires the 192.168.50.1 address.

I have tried a wired / ethernet directly from my computer to router port but still not able to log on. The IP assigned by AT&T will not work nor will Asus login. It seems that Asus requires the 192.168.50.1 address.
Why not get AT&T to bridge that router of theirs and then run everything through your AX86U? With this setup your AX86U has a public IP. The AT&T router turns into a modem.

This would also make sure 192.168.50.1 is the routers LAN address.

That's a possibility but that would take the AT&T resource away. Besides I was trying to take advantage of the dual 1G input to the AX86U and I believe bridging would take that away. AT&T has a Cascade Router function that I can't get to work for 192.168.50 subnet unless I find a way for it to recognize that address range.

What I don't understand is the 50.1 address was there for more than a month and then just disappeared. I'm guessing its a DHCP issue but I am not familiar with setting addressing schemes. I can use the Allocation function to set the AX86U to always use the 192.168.50.1 IP but it will only let me use and IP in it's range which is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253.

AT&T router has it identified as 192.168.1.87 or something

This is the WAN IP address of AX86U assigned by AT&T modem/router DHCP. You can't login there.

It seems that Asus requires the 192.168.50.1 address.

Check what's the default gateway on your PC in Connection Properties - this is your router's LAN IP.

Besides I was trying to take advantage of the dual 1G input to the AX86U

Only if your modem/router has 802.3ad LAN Aggregation support. Otherwise it won't work.

What I don't understand is the 50.1 address was there

If the router auto upgraded the firmware there is a new GUI access domain - www.asusrouter.com

That's a possibility but that would take the AT&T resource away. Besides I was trying to take advantage of the dual 1G input to the AX86U and I believe bridging would take that away. AT&T has a Cascade Router function that I can't get to work for 192.168.50 subnet unless I find a way for it to recognize that address range.

What I don't understand is the 50.1 address was there for more than a month and then just disappeared. I'm guessing its a DHCP issue but I am not familiar with setting addressing schemes. I can use the Allocation function to set the AX86U to always use the 192.168.50.1 IP but it will only let me use and IP in it's range which is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253.
As @skeal said if you make the AT&T Router/modem into bridge mode, your ISP can do this for you, then the AT&T Router/modem just becomes a modem. I had this done to my ISP's Router/Modem, it just becomes a modem, then I make my router PPPoE login into my ISP, so basically you are not doing double NAT, AT&T device is just a modem, and you handle everything on your AX86U.

Guess I don't understand the GUI suggestion. If I look up my computers LAN IP and I use it to try to log on and it fails. My connection properties shows that I am using the AX86U but the IP is coming from the AT&T router. So AXX86U is not providing DHCP. My phone is also shows I am using the AX86U but the asus router app which used to work will not connect. The AT&T router will allow me to define a Cascade Router but if I try to assign the IP 192.168.50.1 it tells me that it is not in the range of addreses. I am might try to assign the IP that the AT&T router assigned to the Cascade and see what happens.

The default gateway is your routers LAN IP. Not the computer's LAN IP.

If you're sure about that, reset this AX86U to factory defaults and configure again.
I was waiting for someone to suggest that and hoping there was an alternative. Have lots of devices configured that will have to be reconfigured. I am going to first try to disconnect from the AT&T router and connect via ethernet and see if will allow me to log on without internet.

Asus has Device Discovery utility. There are many ways to find what the LAN IP is. httpd may have stuck - there is ssh access to restart it, if needed, if ssh was enabled. If auto firmware update messed up the configuration though - you have no choice but reset and start over. Your router is in unknown state.

I had tried Device Discovery with no luck. I did try to disconnect from the AT&T router and did a direct wired connect from PC and the message was that there is no DHCP. I continued to play and it finally acknowledged 192.168.50.1 and I was able to sign on to the ASUS. Although the app is telling me that the ISPs DHCP does not function properly. Not sure what that means. The DHCP on the asus seems to be functioning since there are 11 devices with IPs and connected all WiFi with Rx86U IP. Also interesting my android phone app is now working. Now I am lost. I am sure I can set something that will allow the RX86U domain to be visable and addressable by the ATT but there are too many options that I am not familiar with. My brain keeps coming back to having the ATT router acknowledge the asus but not sure how.

Now I am lost.

You are confusing WAN and LAN connections and their IP addresses and DHCP servers involved. Use your AT&T device for ISP connection only (modem/bridge or modem/router, whatever is available), connect its LAN port to Asus WAN port. Reset your Asus router and configure manually with Automatic IP WAN. Don't change any settings you know nothing about. Connect all your wired and wireless devices to your Asus only. If you need more LAN ports - get a $15 switch. You are going to have one WAN IP assigned to your Asus by the ISP device (or ISP in modem/bridge) and all your devices will be getting LAN IPs from your Asus DHCP. When you know little about networking - go with simple setup. One router and one network.

My connection properties shows that I am using the AX86U but the IP is coming from the AT&T router.

This mess may have happened when your ISP router was connected to Asus LAN port by accident. Check again carefully what port is your WAN - the default Gigabit WAN port or the additional 2.5GbE port. You may have switched them by mistake or firmware auto update messed up something.

Last edited:
I am able to consistently sign on to the ASUS router now so I am going to leave things alone. My computer IP address now shows the AX86U DHCP allocation and name. Same with the phone. The only thing that really changed was that I did not connect the second port from the AT&T router to the AX86U. Why and if that made a difference I don't know but I was trying to max out the speed when I really don't have the expertise to make it happen. I have more than enough speed. If it reverts again for whatever reason I will give ATT a call to bridge or figure out the cascading router function. Thanks for your help.

The only thing that really changed was that I did not connect the second port from the AT&T router to the AX86U.

What second port? WAN aggregation works only if your modem/router supports 803.2ad. I told you already in post #7. You had WAN and LAN connected at the same time to your Asus router as I suspected in post #17. You have created the issue.

The at&t fiber router is supposed to support it but I don't believe that I had it configured properly on the AX86U. The router actually will support 5Gb if available. We have 1Gb max.