What's new

Diversion No more Asuswrt-Merlin firmware update notifications?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M

MvW

For some reason, Diversion won't let me set a new firmware update for Asuswrt-Merlin anymore. I thought at first it was because I hopped back on the Merlin train starting with beta 4 and 5, but also with 386.1 final, Diversion still claims the firmware is not suitable for update notifications:
Code:
Communication settings

1. Diversion update notification DivUn
2. Diversion stats stats:email,body,save
3. Diversion backup backup
4. Firmware update notification off
5. Edit email settings, send testmail

Enter selection [1-5 e=Exit] 4

Firmware update notification info:

Receive email notification for newer
Asuswrt-Merlin firmware availability for this
router within about 48 hours of release.

1. Enable firmware notification

Enter selection [1-1 e=Exit] 1

Your firmware does not support Asuswrt-Merlin
update notification

!  Press Enter to acknowledge

Has something changed (beside the new code base) that cause the FWun to have stopped working?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Marco

I have AC68U running fw 386.1, and the firmware update notification option seems to be active as usual. Maybe the problem is AC86U related?

Diversion is still checking the old firmware_server nvram variable to determine the support. It's now obsolete in 386.1. If you reset after upgrading you won't have it there anymore. I do because I didn't reset. If you want to be able to enable it, you can set it manually.
Bash:
nvram set firmware_server="https://fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net"
nvram commit
Once you setup the update notification, remove it.
Bash:
nvram unset firmware_server
nvram commit

while we're on the topic of diversion, there hasn't been an update in a while from what I can tell - is @thelonelycoder tied up with "day job" stuff, or did his work get WAAYY out ahead of Asus/Merlin and it's set for some time yet?

Diversion is still checking the old firmware_server nvram variable to determine the support. It's now obsolete in 386.1.
Do you mean that at its current state Diversion won't monitor the possibly available fw updates for Merlin any more in the future, and thus doesn't send any notifications either?

I've been pretty busy with other stuff lately and haven't had time to visit snbforums very often or read thru every thread since summer 2020. So, I am pretty "out" of what has been happening during the last few months. Especially with AddOns.

Do you mean that at its current state Diversion won't monitor the possibly available fw updates for Merlin any more in the future, and thus doesn't send any notifications either?

I've been pretty busy with other stuff lately and haven't had time to visit snbforums very often or read thru every thread since summer 2020. So, I am pretty "out" of what has been happening during the last few months. Especially with AddOns.
No, it’s only an issue during the setup of the notification. After that, the firmware triggers the script that diversion creates.

I see, a Diversion update is long overdue. Be patient folks.
;) Diversion is running strong and it only gets better with age. I firmly believe applications(like diversion), that run very well, do not need constant updates; however, it is nice to see a development road map from time to time to know what to look forward to. @thelonelycoder adequately supplies (or alludes to) this in his forum adventures. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!