What's new

No More Factory Resets For Me!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fairmarketvalue

Occasional Visitor
As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations", and I'm beginning to figure out what he means. I have 2 XT8 units that were working fine. However, my Web GUI page showed an avaiable firmware update to 386_41793. The router software updated both units successfully, but then I did a factory reset to make sure the firmware worked properly (as had been recommended on the Asus support site). Doh! Both units started blinking blue and then turned red! No Internet even though the router was connected to my cable modem, and no clients were identified on either unit. After 2+ hours of troubleshooting on my own, followed by another hour on the phone with Asus customer support, both units finally were back on line after multiple resets and support "magic". From now on my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and if it is "broke", I'll update the firmware but will not follow a successful update with a factory reset! So saith the noobie. YMMV.

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations", and I'm beginning to figure out what he means. I have 2 XT8 units that were working fine. However, my Web GUI page showed an avaiable firmware update to 386_41793. The router software updated both units successfully, but then I did a factory reset to make sure the firmware worked properly (as had been recommended on the Asus support site). Doh! Both units started blinking blue and then turned red! No Internet even though the router was connected to my cable modem, and no clients were identified on either unit. After 2+ hours of troubleshooting on my own, followed by another hour on the phone with Asus customer support, both units finally were back on line after multiple resets and support "magic". From now on my motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and if it is "broke", I'll update the firmware but will not follow a successful update with a factory reset! So saith the noobie. YMMV.
I did ASUSWRT updates for 2 1/2 years without ever doing a factory reset and without any problems. Maybe I was lucky or maybe my home network is just simple enough to keep me out of trouble. When I finally flashed Merlin 384.19, I did do the factory reset and rediscovered that configuring the network from scratch was not a big deal. I had saved screenshots of all my settings in a Word file and that definitely made it easier. Not a recommendation, just another data point for anyone reading.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!