What's new

No RADIUS on 5Ghz Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AAJarvis

New Around Here
So I have a Pi running as a RADIUS server but when I try to connect my RT-87U to my server, the RADIUS tab only appears in the 2.4Ghz Network and not in the 5Ghz Network. In the 5G I don't get the WPA-Enterprise option. Am I missing something or is this option not available on 5G?
Probably a silly question but thought I would ask, thanks in advance. :)

2.4G.JPG

5G.JPG

I think it's not available on the 5 GHz band for the RT-AC87U due to the fact it uses a separate CPU and firmware on that band.

I think it's not available on the 5 GHz band for the RT-AC87U due to the fact it uses a separate CPU and firmware on that band.

Perhaps - no reason why it couldn't run on both radios, as the Auth server runs on the Router/CPU side of the device, but with the QTN integration challenges being steep enough as it was back in the day - since most end-users are in consumer land, it was probably a task not worth doing...

Perhaps - no reason why it couldn't run on both radios, as the Auth server runs on the Router/CPU side of the device, but with the QTN integration challenges being steep enough as it was back in the day - since most end-users are in consumer land, it was probably a task not worth doing...

One would have to dig through the qcsclient API to see if there's any way to interface authentication with an external Radius server.

So are you saying if I upgraded to say, the AC3200 I could run it? Or if I/someone found a way to enable it in the API?

So are you saying if I upgraded to say, the AC3200 I could run it? Or if I/someone found a way to enable it in the API?

Yes. This is specific to the RT-AC87U due to its unique architecture.

Hi,
Merlin is there a way to enabled it
If yes can you tell me how it's so stupid to have radius running for 2.4 and not for 5

Hi,
Merlin is there a way to enabled it
If yes can you tell me how it's so stupid to have radius running for 2.4 and not for 5

No, as I said it's not possible due to technical limitations of that model. The 5 GHz radio is not handled by the same firmware as the rest of the router features.

Thx RMerlin for clearing this out for me
It's just stupid so if i understand what will work is turn off 5G for my 87U and configure my 68u AP 5g + 2.4 and 2.4 for the 87u to the external Radius