What's new

Node vs main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teppka

Regular Contributor
I have two RT-AX86U connected in mesh by cable. Main router is downstairs with node in second floor. I also have Xbox console upstairs connected wirelessly to 5Ghz band. I measured wifi signal from both Router and Node at console position with Router showing -66dBm and Node - 27dBm.

I have to bind console to either one of them and block roaming to make sure Asus will not steer console between the two. I was always under impression that connecting to main Router is always better than to the node. But now I have cable backhaul and am wandering:

1. will node perform just as good as router (assuming wireless signal strength is similar) if it's connected through LAN backhaul? I have similar speed test results with speed as well as ping and latency.

2. is wifi signal strength of - 66dBm enough for full wireless performance?

Thanks

A wired backhaul is effectively the same as connecting to your main router. As long as you're using two identical (or at least 'same class') routers for the main and AiMesh v2.0 nodes.

Thanks for pointing it out @L&LD but backhaul though LAN/WAN is plenty enough for my ISP 200/10 speed and no PC/USB transfers involved :)

You're welcome @Teppka, and technically you're right. But, aren't you a bit curious if the less than half latency of the 2.5GbE backhaul would bring any noticeable improvements for you anyways? :D

Hate is such a small distance from Love. I love to hate it too. :)

Only one way to find out! :)