What's new

NOOB question: How to update Merlin with USB/AMTM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
forgive me for the noob questions. I have tried searching but found no clear answer.

I currently have Merlin 384.15 installed. In addition, I added an USB drive and installed AMTM. Through AMTM, I installed Diversion and Skynet.

While I don't customize my router setup heavily, I do maintain a large static DHCP table.

My questions (somewhat unrelated) are:

1) what is the proper method to upgrade Merlin FM with USB/AMTM installed? Can I do a dirty flash?
2) how do I install AMTM on the official AsusWRT?

regards,

Unmount the USB drive before any FW update. You don’t need to physically remove it. Unmount it from the GUI.

AMTM requires Merlin FW. Cannot be installed on stock.

And just so you know Merlin 384.15 has amtm built in so no need to install as with prior builds.

forgive me for the noob questions. I have tried searching but found no clear answer.

I currently have Merlin 384.15 installed. In addition, I added an USB drive and installed AMTM. Through AMTM, I installed Diversion and Skynet.

While I don't customize my router setup heavily, I do maintain a large static DHCP table.

1) what is the proper method to upgrade Merlin FM with USB/AMTM installed? Can I do a dirty flash?

regards,
Have a look at L&LD’s AMTM Guide but bear in mind donbru’s post

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

You can. This is what I'm doing all the time. From 384.12>.13>.14>.14_2>.15>.16 to current 384.17. I only reinstall things if something is not working. Never needed to fix things in about 1 year time. Just unmount the USB as suggested above, flash the new firmware, test.

regards,

I don't think you need to be overly concerned about a dirty flash. But you really do owe it to yourself to get some clarity on some things by reading @L&LD 's guide threads.

Have a look at L&LD’s AMTM Guide but bear in mind donbru’s post

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

I would definitely recommend going through his M&M setup thread too, and making the slight changes to the factory default settings. You'll be pleasantly surprised how those little tweaks improve your network and experience.

careful, though: you may find yourself like Alice, chasing a white rabbit into/through Wonderland. It's worth it, though, and I'm sure most of the people here will confirm that.

Understood. Thanks to all for quick and detail response! will attempt to update when time permits.

regards,

Understood. Thanks to all for quick and detail response! will attempt to update when time permits.

regards,

It takes ~10 minutes to DL, unzip, flash; stop logging in here and do it ;-p

You can take all the time you want/need to tweak it up after.

You can. This is what I'm doing all the time. From 384.12>.13>.14>.14_2>.15>.16 to current 384.17. I only reinstall things if something is not working. Never needed to fix things in about 1 year time. Just unmount the USB as suggested above, flash the new firmware, test.

So, after I unmount, and upgrade, I guess upon reboot, it automatically remounts and I'm good to go? No further action required?

No. Good to go. :)

I would check if everything looks good. See disk check log. Go through scripts. I’ve done it many times with no ill effects.

Nah, just use it. If you experience any issues, THEN check the logs and update scripts as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk