What's new

Noob question RE wired backhaul on CT8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asilcot

New Around Here
I installed a CT8 AiMesh with ethernet backhaul using a Cat 5e cable that was already in place. All default settings, white LED on both units. I have 200 mbps service and get 240 wired or WiFi at the router. I only get about 95 mbps at the node on the desktop wired with a Cat 6 patch cable or on my tablet on WiFi. When I log into the router and go to AiMesh it shows ethernet backhaul but the cable is orange, not green and the RJ45 plug symbol has 10/100 on it. My take on this is that I need to upgrade the backhaul cable to Cat 6 or 7. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I installed a CT8 AiMesh with ethernet backhaul using a Cat 5e cable that was already in place. All default settings, white LED on both units. I have 200 mbps service and get 240 wired or WiFi at the router. I only get about 95 mbps at the node on the desktop wired with a Cat 6 patch cable or on my tablet on WiFi. When I log into the router and go to AiMesh it shows ethernet backhaul but the cable is orange, not green and the RJ45 plug symbol has 10/100 on it. My take on this is that I need to upgrade the backhaul cable to Cat 6 or 7. Any other ideas? Thanks.

It appears the wired backhaul is not connecting at 1 Gbps. Could be the health of the cable or connectors or an intervening switch. Try a short patch cable of known quality to see if it connects at 1 Gbps and go from there. Also, make sure the node connection priority is set to wired/Ethernet.

A healthy Cat5e cable is adequate for Gigabit Ethernet. I would re-terminate the existing cable before replacing it, given the tools and connectors.

OE

Get an cable tester (less than $5 on ebay) to test the cable. Need all 8 wires for GB.

You need to invest in an inexpensive cable tester and check the in place cable. The issue most likely is a bad termination at one or both ends. Once you confirm replace the termination's at one or both ends using the same pattern at both ends either 568B or 568A.

CAT 5e should work for shorter distances. I have a 100 ft premade cable and I get full 1 gigabit speed. If in doubt, CAT 6 will definitely work.

Thanks for the quick replies and useful information. There is no switch in the system. I will bring the node upstairs and try a direct connection with a new cable. I tried setting the backhaul selection to ethernet instead of auto with no change. Will order a cable tester. I should have one of them around here anyway.

One more question: Is it necessary/advisable to power down the router to connect the short test cable or is the node being powered down all I need?

[QUOTE="One more question: Is it necessary/advisable to power down the router to connect the short test cable or is the node being powered down all I need?[/QUOTE]

No need to power down

CAT 5e should work for shorter distances. I have a 100 ft premade cable and I get full 1 gigabit speed. If in doubt, CAT 6 will definitely work.
Thanks. This is about 50 to 60 feet. It is not a factory cable but is terminated to a wall jack on each end. I will go back and have a look at those connections.

Thanks. This is about 50 to 60 feet. It is not a factory cable but is terminated to a wall jack on each end. I will go back and have a look at those connections.
Don't forget to buy the tester. While it is likely that one of the connectors is bad there also is a chance that the cable itself is damaged somewhere in the wall. (Stapled to tight, picture hook nicked a cable or the cable might have had a defective pair. )

Don't forget to buy the tester. While it is likely that one of the connectors is bad there also is a chance that the cable itself is damaged somewhere in the wall. (Stapled to tight, picture hook nicked a cable or the cable might have had a defective pair. )
Will do. Thanks

Will do. Thanks
Thanks so much folks. This has been bothering me since I put the mesh system in and I really wanted to get it fixed today if possible. Based on your info I went to Home Depot and bought a tester. It showed an open. I pulled the cable free from that jack and reworked the connection. I got lucky and that was where the problem was. I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 20200521_170516.jpg
    20200521_170516.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200521_174136.jpg
    20200521_174136.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200521_181117.jpg
    20200521_181117.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 144

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!