What's new

Noob using Tomato router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mac29

New Around Here
Hi I'm new here. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm trying to log into a Linksys WRT54GL that I previously flashed w/Tomato and haven't used in over a year. Can't find my folder w/password but even worse I can't seem to get a logon screen. I see I have one wired connection (from a laptop) but when I use Firefox and enter 192.168.1.1. all I receive is 'unable to connect'.

What other IP could I use? The router only has s/n and mac on the bottom, not that it matters, since I've already flashed to Tomato.

I'm at a standstill, really lost. Hoping I can gain access w/o using the reset button/wiping all settings and not even sure that would work on Tomato.

Thank you,

Mac

When you connect to the router, are you sure you're in the 192.168.1.x subnet?

Have you tried resetting the router?

Are you able to SSH into it? Making sure that the IP subnet is correct?

Not sure it's really helpful, but make sure your LAN cable is plugged into a LAN port, not the WAN/Internet port.

@mac29 In your other post from 2014 (which you never replied to :rolleyes:) you were asking about access points and/or wireless bridges. If you went ahead and configured this device in that way then you won't be able to connect to it (at 192.168.1.1) because it isn't configured as a router.

As @L&LD suggested, performing a hardware reset on the device should allow you to connect.

First, my cable is connected to a LAN port and my older post must have been for when I repurposed a router as a switch. Which is not part of the wireless network.

Second, my bad, the house Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1. Tried that on the laptop connected to Tomato and again receive 'unable to connect."

Really rusty but there is only one network for the house. I use directly wired ethernet to my switch for pc's and the house router uses wi-fi as well. I'm thinking when I open a browser and enter correct IP I should get the logon screen for Tomato.

Hoping I can find how to log in w/o a reset but I'm not even sure the reset button will work since I've flashed to Tomato. I guess Tomato would code for that but haven't tried the reset button.

Appreciate the help everyone. Thank you!

If this Linksys is in router mode and running DHCP, do you get a DHCP IP on your plugged in laptop? Make sure wifi is disabled on the laptop. If you're not getting a DHCP address from the router, it might not be a router anymore. o_O

I'm still not clear on exactly how you've setup the Linksys. Are you sure it's configured as a router and not an access point, switch, bridge, repeater, etc.?

I'm not sure of the relevance of the "house gateway" and "house router" as presumably these are not connected to the Linksys in any way at the moment.

The Tomato router should be in router mode & running DHCP. But when I use terminal in Linux Mint on laptop and run ifconfig I receive command not found, 'Did you mean ifconfig from package 'net-tools' (main). Also tried ip addr show command but in the results I only see inet = 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo.

I believe wi-fi doesn't exist b/c there is no wi-fi nic in this old (2006) dell laptop. Trying to use the router instead of loading wi-fi software onto a usb drive (& use the Tomato router as a wireless client). I'm sure this Tomato router was last/only set up as a router. The reason I delineated "house" was to specify where wi-fi is coming from, and what network (the only one) I'm trying to config this Tomato router to work with. Again, want to have it on the 'house' wi-fi network, as a "client" and then connect using cable to my old dell laptop.

I'll keep surfing for commands to verify an IP for this thing.

Thank you again for your help.

Mac

The Tomato router should be in router mode & running DHCP. But when I use terminal in Linux Mint on laptop and run ifconfig I receive command not found, 'Did you mean ifconfig from package 'net-tools' (main). Also tried ip addr show command but in the results I only see inet = 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo.

I believe wi-fi doesn't exist b/c there is no wi-fi nic in this old (2006) dell laptop. Trying to use the router instead of loading wi-fi software onto a usb drive (& use the Tomato router as a wireless client). I'm sure this Tomato router was last/only set up as a router. The reason I delineated "house" was to specify where wi-fi is coming from, and what network (the only one) I'm trying to config this Tomato router to work with. Again, want to have it on the 'house' wi-fi network, as a "client" and then connect using cable to my old dell laptop.

I'll keep surfing for commands to verify an IP for this thing.

Thank you again for your help.

Mac

I think the command you want is actually ipconfig or for even more info ipconfig /all

OK surfed but finally had to try the reset. Now FF gives me the 'Authentication Required' window but admin admin, as well as administrator administrator does not work. Surfing to find out what else works.

Thanks again for the interest/help,

Mac

So thought to myself installing some things would be tedious. Then found PuTTY would do either SSH or telnet and installed it to my W7 laptop. Enter 192.168.1.1 but SSH result is "not authorized". Telnet works so I entered command nvram get http_passwd but tomato is not correct. Found that command on a DD-WRT post.

Getting warmer but can't crack the nut. Has to use the default now that I've reset. Unless I'm missing something.

Missed ClinTaylors combo. Will try that.

Thanks.

BINGO. Awwwwwwwwwww, thanks man. Now to config this thing. Finally solved 2 IT problems. On to bigger and better things.

Thank you all vy much.