What's new

Normal for wireless to wireless to cause high CPU?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drinkingbird

Part of the Furniture
I don't do many big transfers between wireless devices but had to transfer a 14G file from work laptop to home via windows file sharing. Noticed my speed capped out around 250Mbit and CPU 2 in router was at 90% or so (and GUI sluggish). Seemed odd since both were on 5Ghz and same SSID. Wouldn't think Trend Micro would be interfering, and it doesn't hit traffic stats since it is LAN (just confirmed not showing there).

I can get 350M to the WAN via wireless (to wired LAN) with only 60% CPU on core 1 so seemed quite odd. Not a big deal as it isn't common to do, just curious. I guess the encryption may account for it, but you'd think that would be easily handled by the wireless chipset.

AC1900 with 386.7_2.

Perhaps just that AC1900 bogging down under load.

OE

That's kind of the point of my question, wifi transfers shouldn't need the CPU, at least not when within the same SSID and band, regardless of the router. Seems especially odd considering I can get much more speed from wireless to the WAN.

BCM4360 relies heavily on the main CPU. This is a limitation for all AC68U variants, except two*. I had AC1900P and AC5300 routers in my collection with the same** BCM4709C0 1.4GHz CPU, but AC5300 has newer BCM4366 radios with own processing units. Wireless transfer taking 90% CPU on AC1900P was needing 20% on AC5300. AC88U uses also the same CPU with newer BCM4366 radios.

* - AC68U C1 with BCM43602 radio (own processing units) and AC68U V4 with BCM4906 CPU (much faster ARMv8 1.8GHz cores)
** - AC68U variants slow down even more if the router has active VPN Client 1 using the same Core 2 - it affects wireless performance

BCM4360 relies heavily on the main CPU. This is a limitation for all AC68U variants, except two*. I had AC1900P and AC5300 routers in my collection with the same** BCM4709C0 1.4GHz CPU, but AC5300 has newer BCM4366 radios with own processing units. Wireless transfer taking 90% CPU on AC1900P was needing 20% on AC5300. AC88U uses also the same CPU with newer BCM4366 radios.

* - AC68U C1 with BCM43602 radio (own processing units) and AC68U V4 with BCM4906 CPU (much faster ARMv8 1.8GHz cores)
** - AC68U variants slow down even more if the router has active VPN Client 1 using the same Core 2 - it affects wireless performance

Guess having both on wireless is effectively doubling the CPU impact. Kind of a crappy chipset especially if it claims 1900mbit capability. Oh well, very rare use case for me. Maybe I'll crack out that TP Link 3150 next time :)

I think I paid 30 on clearance at Wally mart like 5 years ago, still performs well for that price.